• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer does not fully wake from sleep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Hey guys, I have no clue what could be causing this. I often put my computer to sleep, but recently whenever I wake it, it tells me that my graphics card failed but recovered or something of that sort. Sometimes there will be some boxes of jumbled video error and my motherboard code says "30" when it usually says "A0". I looked it up and code 30 means "waking from sleep state 3". Any clue why this happens? Yes everything is updated and works fine upon restart.

Two things come to mind if it was working fine for some time then suddenly develops issues: Possibly some recent update/drivers is causing issues, or the overclock (is the cpu overclocked?) is not 100% stable.

CPU is not overclocked and drivers are up to date. This first happened not too long after my cpu and mobo upgrade, but only started happening every time very recently

Can anyone help me? I have set my bios settings to default and that didn't help. Do you think i should attempt using the previous drivers for my 970's since the current ones crash upon waking?

Also, do you think this could be a problem with my graphics card? I had the OC set pretty high (around + 170 core and + 525 mem). I ran Heaven benchmark like ATNINSIDE told me, and never saw artifacting at what I left it at (even toned it down a bit). I only saw graphical problems in Mafia 2 for some reason. No other game.

Last edited:
Sleep problems in Windows? Plenty have had the issue. I've looked and searched for years for the answer to my problem to no avail. The methods to look up problems in Windows (logs, what waked the computer last, what programs are running with no sleep states, etc) are numerous but in my case, show nothing. Again, the usual culprit is a driver or update, and no other way to fix it other then reverting the driver, updating the driver, or removing the update.

The problem is, trying to figure out which driver or update is causing the issue in the first place.

If sleeping is causing the problems, disable sleep mode. I think some psu's are more to blame sometimes. Low power states and switching over all that jazz. Not the best system developed for sure. Best option would be to disable it imo

Well the thing is when i want to go away from my computer for a bit, I like to put it to sleep, so I'd prefer to keep it on

Well the thing is when i want to go away from my computer for a bit, I like to put it to sleep, so I'd prefer to keep it on

you have SSD's... turn the thing off. Takes 12 seconds (literally) to turn on full running again if you go away for an extended period of time.

If there is no way to fix it, as you said, it isnt that big of a deal. That said, I'm a pretty heavy chrome user who can at times like his tabs.

There is a round a bout way you can try that I have used. It will require the use of the Power Settings. You can set the "Power Saver" setting to have the computer goto sleep after 1 minute. When you are going to set your computer to sleep, just change to this power setting and after 1 minute of being idle, it'll goto sleep. This won't stop the computer from turning on on its own anymore, but if it does, it'll just go back into sleep mode after 1 minute.

There is a round a bout way you can try that I have used. It will require the use of the Power Settings. You can set the "Power Saver" setting to have the computer goto sleep after 1 minute. When you are going to set your computer to sleep, just change to this power setting and after 1 minute of being idle, it'll goto sleep. This won't stop the computer from turning on on its own anymore, but if it does, it'll just go back into sleep mode after 1 minute.

pain in the butt if youre reading anything for 1 minute! lol

Judging by the error message you described when it does come back up, my guess would be either a bad graphics driver (since I think you said it was working fine before updating to latest?) or a hardware problem w the motherboard ("problem started after CPU/motherboard swap").

I would try an older nvidia driver and if that doesn't solve it, try a different PCI-e slot.

Also, is your card overclocked when it goes to sleep?

Yes, the cards are overclocked, but it happens when they are at stock aswell.

And by the way, it doesn't have a problem with automatically turning on. Just performance/graphics driver crashes.

I might try taking out my oldest graphics card and using the new one to see if the problem persists. I contacted ASUS and they just told me to clear CMOS

I had similar issues with my 660ti. I would get driver has crashed and recovered errors or sometimes windows would be drawn, but filled in black when resuming from sleep. What worked for me was two things. I switched from Precision X to Afterburner as my overclocking software and I don't allow the software to run all the time. I just start it up before firing up a game. One thing I noticed was even at stock just having either Precision X or Afterburner running would cause weirdness resuming from sleep. Also Precision X doesn't seem to restore defaults properly (at least the version I was using at the time, could be fixed by now).

Are you running windows 10? Sorry if missed that but i only skimmed through all the posts. I always had issues with sleep and hibernate in windows 7. Believe it or not it seems it works a lot better in windows 10 but the problem there is nvidia drivers seem to be very unstable in windows 10 constantly throwing the error message you describe.

I fixed it guys. I think anyway. I turned off "Fast Boot" in windows under my power settings and turned off "Fast Boot" in my bios. I also reset my CMOS and set all of my values again to make sure there was no weird settings.

Back