• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new PC Gaming Headset... Need opinions please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumpin Jack

Hi everyone, need opinions please on a new Gaming headset. Old one was the Tritton +720 Pro (never really thought it was much good)

This will be for PC fps games, 2 speaker, virtual surround 7.1, non-wireless...
Budget $100 - $200

Many thx for any advice....

I use sennheiser with a desktop mic. I really do like the combo.

There are sennheiser headsets as one option.

Another option is any nice headset with a clip on magnetic mic.

Just to note, virtual surround sound is a lie. I have a Logitech G35 which is fine, but surround sound it is not, in spite of what it tries to be.

I do really really like having the physical sound controls (volume, mute, next track etc) right on the headphones, as well as the mic mounted on there. Huge convenience factor.

Headset over headphones are just fine assuming you get one of the very few good pairs on the market, the go-to recommendation I tend to give for $100 - $200 range is the Sennheiser G4ME One that sits at $180 over at Amazon. They use the Sennheiser HD598 drivers which sells for the $150 range. A while back I would normally suggest headphones + separate mic as a whole with my mic recommendation being the Antlion Modmic, however, since they raised the price of the Modmic into the $40~ range, it's more sensible to simply buy the G4ME One.

As far as a tally of headSETS I would recommend:
Skullcandy SLYR (Astro makes these) - $64

Kingston HyperX Cloud Core (based on Takstar Pro80 headphones) - $70

Sennheiser G4ME One - $180

AudioTechnica ADG - $226

If I were buying a headSET and not headPHONES, I would go with the Sennheisers probably. As someone who owned the HD515, 555, 595, and 598, I am very familiar with the series in regards to FPS gaming titles and can definitely recommend them with FPS gaming in mind.

Now, all that out of the way, if you want more flexibility in regards to what you can get for your money if you wanted to go headphones and separate mic instead of a headset, you can definitely go that route and it's something I highly recommend, but if you want the convenience of the headset being a headset, I say just stick to one of the choices I mentioned above. Of course for the HyperX Cloud Core I'm not 100% on availability as it is relatively new, but it looks like GameStop has them.

Back