• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My all time windows 7 conundrum - Download Stops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

I have a system setup: mobo -gigabyte p35 ds3l, with a core 2 duo 1.8 cpu, 2gigs of mushkin memory a 750 WD hard drive running win 7 x64.

Well, the problem on this one system I have is that the system is not able to download from the internet. Whatever I download, it will always stop at about 2% done and hang forever.

What I have done... loaded a CD and deleted the drive, created a new C: drive, (a couple of times) reinstalled the OS from my original microsoft disk, reinstalled with the same OS from a downloaded version of win 7 x64. Clean installs.

I have mem-tested the memory = good
I have HD regenerator tested the HD = good

I have used on-board LAN = no difference
I have used a separate PCI LAN card = no difference
I have used a WiFi dongle = no difference
Changed RJ-45 cables = no difference

I ping the modem/router and all is good. I am able to network this computer on a home system, fine. I can ping internet sites with command prompt. I can surf the internet and load webpages, fine.

But it will not download.

I even installed another browser, Firefox, and the same thing happens, no downloading.

All this is after a clean install from a newly formatted drive.

Throw me a new suggestion, please... :)

I've been working on this for a couple o' days and I am dumbfounded.

My all time windows 7 conundrum

A very strange issue. If you're reloading the OS fresh, it doesn't seem like it could be a problem there. And if it were hardware, you wouldn't be able to browse either.

Maybe a router setting? Something capping the maximum size of a downloaded file?

Edit: also, FYI, making the title of your thread more indicative of the actual problem would help future readers/searchers to know what the topic of your thread is.

I have other computers using the same router and no problems at all. Not sure if I can edit the title...

I ask this purely because you have 7 listed in the title, but.... Have you tried a different OS? For instance I had a set of monitors that would only display on one port in Windows, but Linux ran them like Champs (I still don't know why, but it does show that hardware like monitors /GPU can work differently in different OS)

I had also installed windows 10, with the same result. Maybe I should try winXP... I'm telling you, this is strange behaviour, and I've been working with computers for years

Have you tried downloading the exact same file on the other PCs in your network?

Is it only particular files which won't download?

Still seems like a network issue to me. Do you have a USB wireless adapter you could use instead of the nic built in to the mobo?

Edit: just saw in your OP you already tried wireless...

Last edited:
I had also installed windows 10, with the same result. Maybe I should try winXP... I'm telling you, this is strange behaviour, and I've been working with computers for years

Well if you're like me you want the real answer not a work around (like using an alternative OS). In that line of reasoning I think Win7 and Win10 are too similar for this part of troubleshooting (my gut says that not real knowledge)

If you have time and a live image, try with Linux ( I suggest that if you can get it to work with a Linux distro then try xp after thst) at the very least you will have done some troubleshooting that wiser minds might need you to do anyway

Disclaimer : I still have no idea how to even start. I'm only suggesting troubleshooting I would do

Yes, looking for the answer to the problem. There are actually several google threads if you input "my computer can't download", or something similar.

Trying a WinXp install as I type... I do not have any Linux at hand.

As well, I've never worked with Linux except one brief moment about 15 years ago when my son was all over it as a great system and I managed to crash a Linux box. He had said it was uncrashable.

Ok, with WindowsXP I get downloads, used the wifi dongle. I had to turn off AHCI in the BIOS or XP would not recognise the sata II drive that is installed. Perhaps if I now load windows7 with the same BIOS config, that is with AHCI not enabled, it might download. Not sure if that was the game changer.

I'm not sure you should have ahci set in the bios anyway, unless you are using and SSD. I got the impression from the OP that it was a HDD. I don't know if it will make a difference but I'm glad you are getting somewhere. Was the WiFi dongle the only thing that worked? I would think you'd get connection will all you devices now, unless they won't reach back to WinXP.... Good luck :)

It is consistently 32-bit versions giving the issue? Was your copy of xp 32 or 64?

(I have no idea what the issue is or why address space would cause the issue. Lol)

Have been using both versions x86 and x64 with same result. Only XP gave me a normal download. Strange gremlin stuff afoot.

My last question has to do with drivers. Have you checked them all? If nothing else getting the proper chipset from the manufacturer might help. I had an issue with cores not locking in speed that was solved by a driver update

I will do another clean install and check drivers carefully. The thing about the win7 installs is that being more "modern" than the mobo, it appears to leave no yellow question marks at all in Device manager, as if it had the p35 775 mobos covered. But I'll install the Intel chipset drivers etc on next install.

It's actually the XP install that leaves all the yellow question marks for the user to install drivers on the p35 775 mobos.

I will do another clean install and check drivers carefully. The thing about the win7 installs is that being more "modern" than the mobo, it appears to leave no yellow question marks at all in Device manager, as if it had the p35 775 mobos covered. But I'll install the Intel chipset drivers etc on next install.

It's actually the XP install that leaves all the yellow question marks for the user to install drivers on the p35 775 mobos.

This is not surprising. With Windows XP having been released in 2002 and that motherboard being from around 2006-2007 most likely the OS might not have driver support for a lot of that board's devices. Even with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on the installation disk it still might not have the drivers for the board. What version of XP installation disk are you using by the way, is it basic XP, XP with SP1, XP with SP2, XP with SP3?

Windows 7 was released in 2009 though and generally has driver support (for most drivers) for most motherboards built into the OS's default drivers, going back to at least 2005 (oldest board I've used with Windows 7 at this point).

This is a bizarre issue to be sure though. I'm not entirely sure why the download would work normally under Windows XP but stop under Windows 7. Possible driver issue in 7? I'm assuming the port probably isn't physically damaged, since it does work under one OS. Software issue of some sort most likely.

Had a weird issue myself yesterday where my primary LAN port wasn't recognized in the OS (secondary port was working though) when I booted the system up (the first time), but then when I rebooted the system it then worked normally after the reboot and I was able to get online with no issues.

Last edited:
Back