• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking i7-3930K on Asus P9X79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With cstates/c1e, no, it will clock down. Many ways to skin the cat. :)

haha, it certainly appears to be the case:) But going with manual voltage and c state enabled is fine? No adverse affect:)?
Back to reading guides:), i need to understand the offset and manual difference. I thought offset's purpose was to assist with speedstep / clock downs/ups.

After a bit more reading:
4.8GHz at 1.392V (Offset of +0.005V, yes still) at full load. Stressed it for a couple of hours now with AIDA64 with no failures. Played a game for several hours with no failures.
1.392V appears to be reasonable with 72C being top temperature which isn't bad I suppose.
I had to switch from Balanced to High Performance power profile mode because Balance withheld full 4.8GHz CPU capability in game which dropped frame rate considerably.
Yet, CPU still down throttles to 1.2GHz at 0.8V~ when idle with sub 40C temperatures on all cores.
Going with lower offset results in instability when pushed to full load so I think this is my sweet spot.
I will try experimenting with manual voltage at some point, but this is good enough for what I need.
Thanks a lot for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

On an interesting note, below video is blowing my mind: (4.8GHz @ 1.35V)

Silicon Lottery!

Yah, he is the winner of that lottery!
He mentioned in that video that a lot of people consider 1.35V to be the safest voltage before CPU is degraded. What i read was all over the map. Some say 1.4V, others 1.45V. But I guess 5 years later, I will need to change my whole computer anyways, so perhaps this whole thing is irrelevant:) It's almost a crime NOT to overclock the CPU:) I am, for one, guilty as charged, lol.

Some say 1.4V, others 1.45V. But I guess 5 years later, I will need to change my whole computer anyways, so perhaps this whole thing is irrelevant:) It's almost a crime NOT to overclock the CPU:)

:thup: It's all relative to your cooling, voltage isn't the only factor and technically they start dying from day one. Some just cross the line sooner.

After a bit more reading:
4.8GHz at 1.392V (Offset of +0.005V, yes still) at full load. Stressed it for a couple of hours now with AIDA64 with no failures. Played a game for several hours with no failures.
1.392V appears to be reasonable with 72C being top temperature which isn't bad I suppose.
I had to switch from Balanced to High Performance power profile mode because Balance withheld full 4.8GHz CPU capability in game which dropped frame rate considerably.
Yet, CPU still down throttles to 1.2GHz at 0.8V~ when idle with sub 40C temperatures on all cores.
Going with lower offset results in instability when pushed to full load so I think this is my sweet spot.
I will try experimenting with manual voltage at some point, but this is good enough for what I need.
Thanks a lot for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

Nope, computer locked up and BSOD twice today during a game play.
Increasing vcore to 1.42, well see how it fares

Crap, i did not take note. I will switch back to same settings and post the BSOD code once i get it.
Perhaps it has something to do with me forcing: CPU LLC: Regular, CPU CC: 100%
It is strange, I was playing a game and it did not really push the processor like say Prime95 or AIDA64 would do.

The BSOD came as:
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
STOP: 0x0000009C

What does that mean?

I also have my memory profile set as XMP in BIOS. Without it memory is detected as 1333MHz even though it is a 1866MHz. If I set it as 1866MHz without using XMP, machine freezes during windows loading screen. I am not sure if that's helpful information.

Last edited:
This might be a silly question "Why 4.8Ghz"??

You know the Difference between 4.8 and 4.7 is very little except for Benching, but for you it may allow you to run a lower Vcore and Temps!

Also it just could help with these BSOD's as well, so if its not critical you need 4.8 think about what i have said!

Ajay.

Youre right, 4.7GHz or even 4.6GHz will probably be sufficient. I just LOVE the frame rates i get with 4.8GHz in a game. I game 2-4 hours every other day which is the only thing I do on my computer. So I figured Id get the best performance out of it when i DO game since most of the time computer is idle or off.

I doubt there is much difference in fps either... but you should not be bsod...you are not stable.

Ill drop it down. Out of curiosity, what does that BSOD indicates besides the obvious? Memory related?

Back