• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tangletail

As the title states, I'd like some advice and opinions on if I should upgrade or not. Honestly I believe that I should be fine with games coming soon... but with the way things are going, I don't know anymore.

Currently my system specs are...

FX8120 @ stock (Do not know how to overclock, and rather not risk it.)
AMD HD7950
16 gigs of 1333mhz RAM
750w Power Supply

I'm thinking of upgrading to the r9 380x or 39 390x

But I'm unsure if my processor will actually be able to hold up.

I've thought about upgrading to the FX9350, but my motherboard does not support it. And I would rather not shovel out more dough than I need to.

Do you think this system will be fine as it is? Do you think the GPU upgrade is necessary, and if so, will the processor be fine?

Overclocking is easy, there are guides here (see signature)

Your processor will hold up fine.

R9 380x is a rebranded 7970 so that is only a small jump. The R9 390x is a rebranded 290x and will yield a good performance jump.

As far as it being necessary, only you know that. Is it serving your needs now? Then it is ok. If it isn;t, then upgrade when you need to.

E-D is right, if you are happy with the game play, there is no reason to change anything.
I have a 770, 280x cards, some 760's and a 970, for the games that I enjoy pick one, if I don't turn on fraps I don't know witch cards in.

Back