• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI R9 380 4g Issues / Choppy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jhecker1020

Brand new build, specs as follows:
FX-8370 @ 4.5 (will increase later)
MSI 990FXA-Gaming
4X8gb G. Skill Trident X 2400 (clocked down to 1866 for compatibility)
MSI R9 380 4Gb
750w PSU
2 x Acer H226HQL (One HDMI, One VGA)

Okay, so this is a pretty new build, and so far I have updated any all drivers for all devices to most recent available.

My issue is that any and all video sources and/or games I may play, I inevitably get choppy, horizontal lines running across the screen. They are mostly focused to the top 1/3rd of the screens, though I have seen them on the lower portions as well. The lines are uniform across both screens. Even when the lines are present, however, I still get good framerates; the lines ruin that, though.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Uninstall, delete, and then reinstall display drivers
- Run card at stock as well as a stable overclock
- Turn on pretty much every video/graphics optimization option in Overdrive
- Run CPU at stock speeds as well as OC'd
- Try both the HDMI and VGA individually (HDMI on it's own in 1, then 2, then do the same with VGA)
- Try multiple video sources (VLC, Vimeo, Youtube, In-game graphics, all at varying resolutions)

I tried to take a Screenshot of the lines/breaks, but to no avail.

One other issue is if I drag a window out of frame, then back into frame, the portion that went out of frame comes back warped. It corrects itself as soon as I press a button. See below.
windowerror_draggedoffscreen.png

I am at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated!

It also does this when dragging one window over another, but the after-images only last a few hundredths of a second. The screenshot below was achieved by dragging the window back and forth like crazy and getting lucky with the Printscreen button. windowerror_windowdragging.png

Bumping!

Also, an update. I got fed up, went to Fry's, and shelled out $450 for an MSI R9 390x. I told myself that if I it worked, I would keep it, resell the 380, and call it good.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet since I will be returning it), the 390x did not make a lick of difference.

I have tried everything, including forcing VSync, globally capping FPS to 60 (my monitors are 75hz max) and still, no dice.

Please help!

I've tried two thus far. First a Rosewill Hive 750, now a Rosewill Quark 850. The latter is Platinum 80. I can confidently say it's not a power issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I also just installed the newest AMD Beta drivers, which seem to have smoothed out some of the issues, but only the minor ones. The screen tearing/choppiness is still prevalent.
I'm seriously considering just switching to a GTX 970, but my sense of continuity compels me to stay AMD

- - - Updated - - -

And I just now realized that if I drag a window across the desktop with any sort of speed, at least two clear, horizontal "breaks" or "tears" become visible in the motion.

I've tried two thus far. First a Rosewill Hive 750, now a Rosewill Quark 850. The latter is Platinum 80. I can confidently say it's not a power issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I also just installed the newest AMD Beta drivers, which seem to have smoothed out some of the issues, but only the minor ones. The screen tearing/choppiness is still prevalent.
I'm seriously considering just switching to a GTX 970, but my sense of continuity compels me to stay AMD

- - - Updated - - -

And I just now realized that if I drag a window across the desktop with any sort of speed, at least two clear, horizontal "breaks" or "tears" become visible in the motion.

Do a complete uninstall of drivers and everything related to AMD. Reboot, Install drivers and reboot. I have had that happening when my OS is messed up. Reinstalling windows should fix it for sure.
You should also confirm that the card is clocking right and running at right bus speed(GPU-Z) to rule out potential problems with motherboard.

Back