• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

molex to 6-pin adapters safe to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwhits

Hello guys, I currently have an i3-2100 with a 7200rpm 1tb hard drive with a 500 watt power supply. I was running a amd 6670 but decided I needed to upgrade. I chose the nvidia 750 ti because I wanted a card with lower power consumption so I would not need to upgrade my PSU, but I was not aware that when I chose the superclocked edition ( it was on sale), that it was one of the few cards that require a 6 pin power adapter. How dangerous is it to use the adapter.

What is the manufacturer of the Power Supply? You would want to have 2 Molex Connectors to a single 6-pin, and make sure that the 12V Rail has the necessary amperage for that graphics card. Amperage should be listed on the side of the power supply case. You do NOT want to use a single Molex to 6-pin adapter, it likely won't have the necessary power for the GPU, and could overdraw the PSU.

Honestly, if it's the type of PSU that came with the case, chances are it won't cut it. You could get something real cheap by a decent brand (Like a Corsair CX430) that would be perfectly fine.

It is a dual molex, sorry I forgot to mention that. I am not sure of the brand but it is not the one that game with the case. I can check the specs when I get home on the PSU.

The 750Ti actually uses less power than that 6670.. (66W versus 60W). A molex to 6 pin is fine.

Back