• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winter is Coming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hrmmm. Thinking...If one were to make a minimum height chassis, leave access to the PCI-e connections, then just build a secondary chassis for the cards, properly spaced, using extension-cabling, with more than adequate intake/exhaust...

*must jot down project idea*

Hrmmm. Thinking...If one were to make a minimum height chassis, leave access to the PCI-e connections, then just build a secondary chassis for the cards, properly spaced, using extension-cabling, with more than adequate intake/exhaust...

*must jot down project idea*
A lot of people have executed this idea on cryptocurrency mining benches. Do some google images/youtube digging for inspiration :D

Inspiration? Or reminders that I haven't the cash to do said project rofl.
well.........Lowes does have a giant bin of scrap wood they usually don't mind people scrounging in. Just need some wood glue and some clamps, I'll end up making my own semi-plywood sheets. If I only had a planer then.

As far as cooler weather goes.

Looks like starting tomorrow the weather morons are forecasting a 4 day rain event, complete with cooler temps.
I am not too optimistic. What usually happens here in San Antonio, is that there will be this huge wall of storms on radar....then they will split just west of town, and go around us and reform east. Almost like there is an invisible dome like i that silly TV show.

So, my money is on NOT getting the 7 to 10 inches they are predicting, and hoping for .25 at least.

Inspiration? Or reminders that I haven't the cash to do said project rofl.
well.........Lowes does have a giant bin of scrap wood they usually don't mind people scrounging in. Just need some wood glue and some clamps, I'll end up making my own semi-plywood sheets. If I only had a planer then.

Lucky for you crypto rigs are designed to be as cheap as possible while providing space for cards to be spread out. A perfect low-budget project

Buying a chassis, removes all the fun for me though lol.

And I could likely build my own for less.

I currently have basically $50/month budgeted for entertainment, and that is being diverted to pay off glasses on a GE/Synchrony medical credit card over a 6 month period *else I start accruing interest at 29.95%*

Would work.....but not metal....would be done with wood for me *cost and experience wise*
Wood is forgiving........Metal.........will slice you and send you to the ER, and back home with a nice bill........

No....i don't speak from experience, where wouldja get that idea lol?

I'd probably start off with a mod version of a TV stand I made, that my dad borrowed for the TV in the upstairs living room........and refuses to buy one for himself. Only took me 3x 12x8x1 boards of wood, 2x 1/2" diameter 18" long carriage bolts, 16 1/2" nuts and washers. drill holes in each corner for the bolts, use a hacksaw to cut the bolts in half, assemble for a 3 shelf TV stand.

Cost me about $40 in materials, and about an hour in time. *cutting the carriage bolts took the most time* lol.

Yeah, I kinda get little project ideas in my head, and just do them in one sitting, THEN i look for what I am gonna use them for.

define not cool, my hottest card was around 74c last I checked.
Would the cards throttle or just give in bad work units?

edit: do these cards even throttle?

For me they just quit. Using the riser cables, I was able to allow the middle cards to pull in fresh cool air and they run great. I didn't take temp readings. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm ready for you "snow birds" to ramp up. My farm is ~95% up and running. I should top out around 800k ppd so *bring it*.

Well, MAYBE temps will go down, and I can crank up my system over the weekend without baking in my own room.

Got a flash flood watch from tomorrow till sunday night.
* FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING
* FOR HEAVY RAINFALL OF 4 TO 8 INCHES WITH ISOLATED TOTALS OF 10
TO 12 INCHES.

Partly due to the gulf of mexico finally opening up, a front coming from the Pacific side, and this:
caine.jpg

Yeah, Hurricaine Patricia likely coming up thru mexico and dumping on us....at the same time.

When it rains in Texas.....It pours.

*black little blob, approximation of san antonio lol*

I love living on a huge hill
Just hope power holds out

Oh, I will.

Parents house, where I am currently at is at a good elevation.

It's the rest of the ppl in San Antonio I worry about.
You know, the types that seem to think that "turn around, don't drown" don't apply to them,
then move barricades put up to block flooded low water crossings, and end up needing to be rescued.

That problem is so bad here that there is a hefty fine attached to being rescued.
As well as a fine for moving barricades.

Same people that think you do not need to slow down in icy conditions even when you have no idea how to drive on ice.

Same people that think you do not need to slow down in icy conditions even when you have no idea how to drive on ice.

I know what you mean :rofl: Snow is not to bad but still need to slow down, Ice, if you don't need to go anywhere stay there, if you do need to go somewhere, go slow very slow. I spent time in Ohio so I know how to drive on that stuff :)

For me they just quit. Using the riser cables, I was able to allow the middle cards to pull in fresh cool air and they run great. I didn't take temp readings. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm ready for you "snow birds" to ramp up. My farm is ~95% up and running. I should top out around 800k ppd so *bring it*.

lol, well I'm pretty much where I'm gonna be to be honest, I can't really justify investing more in parts unless some good deals come up. But my appt will be nice and warm this winter.

well, if you built a house around the HAF XB design, basically a dual level cube, no weird shaped rooms, without weird vaulted ceilings that capture and hold heat and hinder airflow......
Thats what I am basically getting at.

In the days prior to air con, they did design houses for ambient cooling. High ceilings, strategically located stairway, etc.

I see that team production is way up for those in the top tier. The best I can do is to get up to #9 in ppd. Good job all.

Back