• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockable older AMD Opteron, socket F ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maximpress

Hi!

Im absolutely newbie both in overclocking and in workstation computers.

The story shortly:

A few weeks ago I bought this old configuration for educational purposes. (e.g. virtualization with Hyper-V and VMware)

MSI MS-9661 (K9ND speedster2) mb.
2x AMD Opterton 2423 HE 2 ghz.
32GB REG ECC DDR2 667mhz.

Am I able to tuning the cpu clock or will I able with this motherboard? Shall I buy an other pair of socket F cpu-s to this mb. and/or order a flashes bios chip? Any solution would be great :clap: . Anybody could advice me something useful? Im interested in the tuning possibilites in topic of such cpu-s. Is it possible to reach 3-3.5 Ghz clock speed with six- or quad core Opterons?

Thanks folks!

i doubt youll get overclocking from socket F, only ones really were the "special" athlon 64 x2s for socket F, but even then they were only supported by a handful of boards, as far as i know there was not any overclockable quads or hexs for socket F

Sometimes OEMs will have BIOS that were pushed by AMD that enable OCing abilities. Surprising enough, Intel and AMD both like OCing on the servers, but these are small steps and for specific instances. It all goes back to power usage and load.

I would contact MSI and let them know that you are a teacher that would like to do OCing on a server due to its ability to show off other features. They may give you a BIOS to work with. It may be a long shot but at least its something.

Hi!

Im absolutely newbie both in overclocking and in workstation computers.

The story shortly:

A few weeks ago I bought this old configuration for educational purposes. (e.g. virtualization with Hyper-V and VMware)

MSI MS-9661 (K9ND speedster2) mb.
2x AMD Opterton 2423 HE 2 ghz.
32GB REG ECC DDR2 667mhz.

Am I able to tuning the cpu clock or will I able with this motherboard? Shall I buy an other pair of socket F cpu-s to this mb. and/or order a flashes bios chip? Any solution would be great :clap: . Anybody could advice me something useful? Im interested in the tuning possibilites in topic of such cpu-s. Is it possible to reach 3-3.5 Ghz clock speed with six- or quad core Opterons?

Thanks folks!

Looking at the sparse puny heatsinks on that board I doubt you would get much of an overclock

Sometimes OEMs will have BIOS that were pushed by AMD that enable OCing abilities. Surprising enough, Intel and AMD both like OCing on the servers, but these are small steps and for specific instances. It all goes back to power usage and load.

I would contact MSI and let them know that you are a teacher that would like to do OCing on a server due to its ability to show off other features. They may give you a BIOS to work with. It may be a long shot but at least its something.

Never heard of a commercial server or workstation board with any kind of overclocking friendly bios. I would think these boards were designed to run in a very narrow set of parameters.

Back