• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a new PC, lots of issues and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chandler

Registered
just finished building and installing my new pc :

h97-hd3
i7 4790K
16gb 1866mhz black fury
gtx 980

Ive been having lots of issues with it since I installed the windows.
(Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.)

first of all, upon getting the newest usb3 driver from giga's site, and it asking me premission to open up usb3mon.exe AFTER EVERY STARTUP (but I managed to solve this one.)

the bigger ones are.. the fact im UNABLE to use winSAT (nor in the cmd)

For some reason, theres 15.9 usable out of 16 (my dad has 16 and it doesnt say the same, its just "Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB"

and the following issue of having 2 VGA devices (after installing my 980 driver I noticed that I have GTX 980 and under it another standard VGA graphics adapter with the yellow "!" under it, with the status "The device cannot start. (Code 10) ..

and another thing, there's random 1-2 second freezes.. well not like the whole pc freezes, but like a window just stuck instead of getting minimized.. and then I have to wait a couple of seconds and press again, whats that all about?

Im really furious as Ive spent quite a lot of money on that machine and all these technical issues kinda kill it for me.. I havent even tried playin and Im already very upset..

any help ? (Checked temp & voltages of the cores & ram, seems okay - I also got a freezer i30 for my 4790K, if it matters)

just finished building and installing my new pc :

h97-hd3
i7 4790K
16gb 1866mhz black fury
gtx 980

Ive been having lots of issues with it since I installed the windows.
(Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.)

first of all, upon getting the newest usb3 driver from giga's site, and it asking me premission to open up usb3mon.exe AFTER EVERY STARTUP (but I managed to solve this one.)

the bigger ones are.. the fact im UNABLE to use winSAT (nor in the cmd)

For some reason, theres 15.9 usable out of 16 (my dad has 16 and it doesnt say the same, its just "Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB"

Part of the total RAM is not usable to programs because it is reserved for Windows overhead processes and this is true eve if your Dad's computer reports all 16gb are usable. This has always been a source of confusion and complaints for novice system builders and novice do it your self upgraders. How the memory resources are reported varies with different operating systems and different motherboard bioses. And if you are using on-board video, less system memory is available for programs since part of the system memory will necessarily be used by the video function.

and the following issue of having 2 VGA devices (after installing my 980 driver I noticed that I have GTX 980 and under it another standard VGA graphics adapter with the yellow "!" under it, with the status "The device cannot start. (Code 10) ..

Sounds like you need to install chip set device drivers. They are found in the CD/DVD that came with the motherboard. Windows had some of the natively but not others. If you have installed them, make sure you check for newer ones on the board manufacture's website. The ones on the CD could be old and buggy. Sounds like buggy drivers and/or IRQ conflicts. You might also try deleting the standard VGA driver in Device Manager and then rebooting to let Windows reshuffle IRQs. Also check for more updated drivers from the video card manufacturer.

and another thing, there's random 1-2 second freezes.. well not like the whole pc freezes, but like a window just stuck instead of getting minimized.. and then I have to wait a couple of seconds and press again, whats that all about?

Probably related to the device driver issue I mentioned above.

Im really furious as Ive spent quite a lot of money on that machine and all these technical issues kinda kill it for me.. I havent even tried playin and Im already very upset..

any help ? (Checked temp & voltages of the cores & ram, seems okay - I also got a freezer i30 for my 4790K, if it matters) Settle down and slow down.

Last edited:

I already installed the latest chipset driver from Gigabyte's website.
if I delete or disable the standard second driver and leave only mine, and after scanning for hardware changes there it is again, the second VGA graphics driver, alongside with my up to date gtx 980, they're both there.

I felt there are going to be issues with it, just after seeing on my mobo page that they have a "hotfix" for the chipset :
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4954&dl=1&RWD=0#driver

I already saw it coming... even on the cd there is a hotfix, its ridiculous .. every h97-hd3 user probably climbed the walls over this..

I saw that theres a "intel vga driver" somewhere between the drivers of the motherboard.. could it be it?

Last edited:
I even updated my Bios to F8 from 5.. I hope updating it via @BioS doesnt cause problems

another weird asf thingie, on both F5 and F8 bioses my mouse moves at like 3 fps.. wtf is that

Sounds like you've done some well-thought out troubleshooting. You've done all that everyone usually tries. My experience with Gigabyte boards is that they have bios issues more often than not. They are usually very rugged from a hardware standpoint but their software engineers seem to have real problems with putting together bioses that don't have significant problems. If you poke around on the internet I think you will find this is a common complaint with this brand. May I ask why you went with the Hxx chipset instead of the z or x?

I would try reflashing the bios and reinstalling Windows.

Sounds like you've done some well-thought out troubleshooting. You've done all that everyone usually tries. My experience with Gigabyte boards is that they have bios issues more often than not. They are usually very rugged from a hardware standpoint but their software engineers seem to have real problems with putting together bioses that don't have significant problems. If you poke around on the internet I think you will find this is a common complaint with this brand. May I ask why you went with the Hxx chipset instead of the z or x?

I would try reflashing the bios and reinstalling Windows.

****. the thing is I flashed it from F5 to F8 using this @BioS which isnt recommended by many (within windows flashing ; etc etc) but my pc flashed it and booted so I guess it went ok?

and btw, I backed it up also via @BioS, and it game me a .bin backup file.. which I copied to a flashdrive, is it ok? can I get my old bios up and running with that file?

or maybe I could somehow avoid reflashing my old bios, seems like a lot of risky work.. I barely got through the first flash when I updated yesterday..

Yes, you should be able to flash the bios again from within bios using the flash drive. That is the best way to flash.

but I dont know which tools to use..
lets say I have a clean formatted flashdrive, with the SINGLE backup file. (the flash drive itself is usb2 - so does it matter where I connect it to?)

u wanna tell me bios detects the file on the flashdrive ?

do i reflash the .bin file in bios and thats it?

Last edited:
Just make sure your usb flash drive is formatted in FAT, not NTFS. I would plug it into any usb 2 port as the usb 3 ports may not be active until you get into Windows where drivers are provided. The bios will find the bios flash files on the flash drive. If you have more than one bios flash file then choose the one you want. There is a tool in the bios to do just this thing. It will be found under one of the tabs in bios. After the flashing is done, the computer will restart. At that point go into bios again before you go into Windows. Set time and date, etc.

Don't stress over this. It's not rocket science. The bios tool is easy to use.

If you need to reformat the flash drive to convert it to FAT 32 you can easily do this. Just go into file manager and find the flash drive in the directory tree. Right click on it and choose Format. When the Format dialog window pops up you can choose what file system to format the thing with.

If you need to reformat the flash drive to convert it to FAT 32 you can easily do this. Just go into file manager and find the flash drive in the directory tree. Right click on it and choose Format. When the Format dialog window pops up you can choose what file system to format the thing with.

Just make sure that before you format the flash drive, please.. please, make sure to copy the backup bin file off of it first :)

Back