• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Ti STRIX - difference.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

Hey guys

I'm looking to buy a new gfx and was thinking it should be the ASUS 980 Ti STRIX model, since it's gotten a lot of good reviews among the different 980 Ti cards.

I've fount that there are three different models, but can't seem to see any difference in the cards? All are available for purchase at the suppliers here.

They've got the following model numbers:

90YV08J0-M0NM00

STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING

90YV08J0-M0NA00

Can anyone tell me the difference? :D

Thanks in advance.

Not sure. I would ask ASUS on that one...or the retailer that is showing those numbers as they are not ASUS'.

Okay, thanks :)

I'll try asking in the ROG forums, maybe they know.

If I had to guess, it may be one with a 3 year warranty versus lifetime.

Personally, I would email ASUS directly as well as ask again in their forums.

As a Strix 980 Ti owner ill tell you right now : pick another brand. Gigabyte, EVGA, Zotac are better for gaming/overclocking, the Strix is better for day to day and "light" gaming because of its 0db implementation (it does zero noise until it reaches 60c and the fans kick in). It has locked voltage - 1.237v and unless you mod your BIOS you will never reach your full OC potential, add to that at least in my case coil noise.

Do not mistake what i am saying, it is still one of the best in the market and well worth its price tag BUT we are "hamstrung by the board" from the start.

As to the model number there are 3 Strix, STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING, STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3-6GD5-GAMING and POSEIDON-GTX980TI-P-6GD5, might be the denomination of the 1st 2, the only difference being clock rates and water cooling compatibility for the Poseidon.

Last edited:
Well I was only looking to find out the difference between the 3 STRIX models available from the same retailer. Since all of their stats are equal, and only the "model number" is different. - This in mind, I've asked around the ROG forums, and they seem to think it's country/region based. Weird thing is that the same retailer is selling all 3 models at the same price, so that theory kinda went out the window. I think I'll just do as Earthdog suggested and contact ASUS directly.

I was first thinking of the EVGA SC model, but the price and performance (out of the box), compared to the STRIX is not as impressive. The low dB is also very appealing since my PC will be running more or less 24/7. (not putting strain on the GFX)

I currently have the classified 780 ti from EVGA, never used the dual BIOS settings and never had the chance to play around with OC, same thing is probably going to apply with the 980 ti, I won't have the time, so OC isn't really an issue any time soon and should I someday need to flash a BIOS on it, that wouldn't really be any inconvenience :D but rather fun to try again.

Well I was only looking to find out the difference between the 3 STRIX models available from the same retailer. Since all of their stats are equal, and only the "model number" is different. - This in mind, I've asked around the ROG forums, and they seem to think it's country/region based. Weird thing is that the same retailer is selling all 3 models at the same price, so that theory kinda went out the window. I think I'll just do as Earthdog suggested and contact ASUS directly.

I was first thinking of the EVGA SC model, but the price and performance (out of the box), compared to the STRIX is not as impressive. The low dB is also very appealing since my PC will be running more or less 24/7. (not putting strain on the GFX)

I currently have the classified 780 ti from EVGA, never used the dual BIOS settings and never had the chance to play around with OC, same thing is probably going to apply with the 980 ti, I won't have the time, so OC isn't really an issue any time soon and should I someday need to flash a BIOS on it, that wouldn't really be any inconvenience :D but rather fun to try again.
Cown, for your uses, ANY of the cards (aftermarket, not reference) will be fine. If you don't plan on overclocking and want the fastest one "out of the box" grab the Zotac AMP! Edition. They both have the highest factory overclock of them all starting at 1253Mhz base clock. As I mentioned throughout, the articles prove, overclocking above and beyond is a silicon lottery due to the limits NVIDIA places on ALL of these cards. The difference is in the power limit and when voltage is managed properly, you are getting the most out of the silicon. Gone are the days of cranking the voltage and seeing how high it can go... Johan lives this now, I lived this the past couple of years with these cards.

What Johan said below should be your takeaway from the back and forth. Add the reviews Kenrou and I posted and you can see the picture that was painted (luck of the draw for overclocks). Let me know if you need anything further. :)

You can quote all the sites you like it still comes down to the CHIP. I could get lucky when I get one that run 1600 core without even raising the voltage. That's part of the point here it's not a matter of voltage being lock or low power limits. All these cards have them and without hard modification on the majority of them you won't get around it. I have two identical GTX 580 DCII at home one will clock 50MHz higher than the other. It has nothing to do with ASUS it's all about chip quality. You can say that Giga, or MSI, I don't care who is going to OC higher out of the box than another brand but there will always be the ones out there that "prove" you wrong. What we're trying to say is you.me E_D can't tell anyone which GPU is going to clock better since we don't know until we clock it what kind of ceiling that particular chip has.

Cown, I cleaned up your thread with our nonsense (those posts moved to its own thread in case any more discussion was needed). Carry on. :)

Back