• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are the nVidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Addition selling so cheap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marjamar

Not that $699.00 is cheap, but it is cheaper then the other brands for this card I have been looking at.

Also, I am just recently upgrading my computer sig below and I want to replace the EVGA GTX 980 and give it to another computer that has my old ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II running in it. I am considering buying 2 of these nVidia 1080 Ti cards and putting EK waterblocks on them using the GEFORCE GTX SLI HB BRIDGE. I had the old ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II under water a few years ago when I bought it, but the waterblock had a design flaw in it and some parts overheated and failed. Asus replaced that card luckily, but it never when under water again, just the fans.

I am doing some benchmarks for fun right now as setup, and my EVGA GTX 980 card, normally very quiet, is very loud. The whole purpose for updating rig is to allow my Samsung Hmd Odyssey headset to function properly, which it does now and didn't with the flaky CHIVZ motherboard/FX-8350. So, I figure a new nVidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Addition with the new EK waterblock designed for this card it might be more fun and more quiet. Then I thought, what about 2 of them? Something I have not done for a bunch of years now, so it might be fun to SLI a couple of cards together again.

Now that you know the plan, I have to wonder way this nVidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Addition is so cheap.

-Rodger

you can get them at that price from nvidia's website, but they go out of stock almost instantly. you have a few mins to get it when it goes live.

I had been on a notification list a couple times. Now they will not notify anyone since this last go-round. It would be much easier and less prone to upset customers if they simply did what almost all other online (us included) do, and take backorders. But, it's their company and I believe everyone has a right to run his/her company any legal way they choose to.

I was just wondering why they were so cheap compared to others of the same model.

-Rodger

because thats what the base price of 1080tis has always been since launch. 699.

these are nvidia branded founders cards. so they sell them at their own msrp. other AIB partners (EVGA, ASUS, MSI, ZOTAC, etc) have all decided to sell for a markup, and they can charge whatever price they want. they are not the same model, and most have better coolers or other features. they use the same GPU core, but certainly are not the same "model" as a barebones nvidia brand founders card.

Back