• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Z170 mobo issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I'm usually solving everything myself but this is pretty weird and I'm not sure why it's acting like that.
I got MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC motherboard couple of days ago and almost everything is working great except one really annoying thing. When I disconnect power from motherboard, connect it again and try to run the board, then it stucks at red LED next to 24 pin power connector and I can't turn on PC. This LED has no description in manual but it looks like some kind of power protection.

here is the location:

led.jpg

So again, when it appears ... when I unplug power cord, turn off PSU or anything like that.
The only way to make it work is to disconnect battery and clear CMOS. This is also weird as using clear CMOS jumper isn't always working while disconnecting battery always works.

There is also only 1 BIOS for this board in 1.0 version.

I'm waiting for reply from MSI but it usually takes about a week so I thought you have any ideas how to solve it.
It's 4th Z170 mobo which I'm testing and with all was something wrong.

Hmm... not sure.

I don't experience that on the M7 or the Xpower Gaming Titanium in hand now...

I additionally checked other PSU and some other parts but it makes no difference. I also checked option to start pc automatically when power plug is connected but it also didn't help.
Right now I'm testing memory for like 5 hours+ at various settings and with multiple restarts and all is perfectly stable so problem is only with starting the board after it loses power.
The only other issue is that I can't change bclk or it stucks at 99.5MHz but that's not related and I think that new BIOS will fix it. It's also not really important on this platform.

It's 4th Z170 mobo which I'm testing and with all was something wrong.
I know your pain. I'm building a pc with an Asrock Z170 Gaming K4 and it has been a complete nightmare. It has taken me 6+ hours just to get all drivers and software installed and working properly. The companies must have rushed these boards out or something.

I found this on the MSI website so hopefully it will help some. It is from a different board but is about the red led. It appears to be CPU protection. Maybe you are getting power spikes on your cpu voltage. Have you tried a different psu or checking your cpu voltage levels?

Enhanced
CPU Overcurrent Protection - Onboard overcurrent protection prevents overcurrent and short-circuit damage of the CPU and other components. A red LED near the 24 pin CPU power connector let’s you know that overcurrent protection is activated for easier troubleshooting.
Link

I thought it's something about OCP but why it's activating after simple power cut/unplug :shrug:

Software issues are happening on almost all of these boards because of no Win7 installation support or some other things. But in 3 out of 4 Z170 boards which I was testing were hardware issues including ASRock which simply died after 3h work. I got money back and got this MSI ITX which was also much cheaper and has better specs. If not that power issue then I would say it's perfect board so far.

Edit:
I just got new BIOS from support. I will check it later today.

Edit2:

Looks like new BIOS fixed all issues. Board is starting like it should and bclk adjustment is working. The only thing which is missing is that it still doesn't like higher voltage on Hynix memory.

My only question is how MSI could release motherboard with issues like that ?

Last edited:
Back