• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

and I'm back...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tetrall

Registered
Hey folks,

Well, long time no see, I'm back with a new challenge from a friend of mine, she's requesting a computer for her photo editing, but has some general conditions that made it difficult, here they are:

1. couldn't be a dell or an iMac.
2. she didn't want to build it herself.
3. Needs a good monitor.
4. she doesn't have a keyboard or mouse.
5. needs and CD burner.
6. wireless capabilities.

around 1500 bucks for all of it.

she primarily uses Lightroom, CS6, photoshop elements.

I was like, ok yeah this can't be that hard... but then I started to think about it.

I don't have a clue about photo editing. I've been doing some research but figured I'd come to the guys who helped me build my first CPU, which is still a big success by the way!

So far, this is what I got:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.00 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.50 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($93.75 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus PB279Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($688.44 @ B&H)
Total: $1837.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-05 03:55 EDT-0400

If you guys have a pre-built computer or company you suggest I look at *other than dell or apple* please by all means let me off easy ;)

No prebuilt will give you any sort of value at that level.

Any particular reason she needs a 700$ 4k monitor?

I know very little about monitors to be honest, color accuracy was important to her, 4K would allow her to look at it closer I suppose.

It seemed a good option considering it's one of those things she won't be upgrading in the next few years (in my ignorant opinion) ;)

I'd honestly look at a nice IPS panel 1080p monitor at this budget. Also, if there's no gaming being done, you can drop the GPU down to a 960 or even 950. You can take the savings and put them into an i7, and probably still have enough money left over for a decent KB/mouse setup. This would be my recommendation, though I admittedly don't know much about monitors. Feel free to pick that apart.

Can save a few hundred and get a very nice Dell IPS monitor that comes pre-calibrated: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00P0EQD1Q that runs at 1440p. If you need 4K then you picked a nice monitor, just quite expensive.

Agreed with Dlaw to drop down to a 960 as well for cost savings, the adobe applications can still use the 960s cuda cores but I doubt the performance would be noticeably better on a 970 vs 960 for photo editing and not gaming.

I'd honestly look at a nice IPS panel 1080p monitor at this budget. Also, if there's no gaming being done, you can drop the GPU down to a 960 or even 950. You can take the savings and put them into an i7, and probably still have enough money left over for a decent KB/mouse setup. This would be my recommendation, though I admittedly don't know much about monitors. Feel free to pick that apart.

I agree with this. The most important component, the difference maker in performance, will be having as strong a CPU as possible.

In my experience at work, we have had more problems with the HP brand PCs. We've had about a 7% failure rating on those which is well above the 2% or less on our Dell's. YMMV as always.

Just for curiosity's sake, why not a Dell or Apple?

The 4k monitor will probably be a good choice for photo editing. 1080p is going to involve a lot of scrolling if she is editing high resolution images.

Switch the Seagate to a Western Digital Black or Red.
Overkill on the PSU, you're easily good with a quality 450-550W unit.

If you want a good compromise between money, panel quality, and resolution then look at the Dell U2515H.
Also, if you're wanting quality in a monitor for photo editing then you can't beat a Dell U-Series.

Back