• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000 budget for computer guts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thecube

Registered
Hey guys,

Going to be building a new system here, I already have a case, monitor, all the peripherals, etc. Just need the guts of the system.

I was looking at the following, please let me know if you would make any changes. I'm open to whatever, intel/amd/nvidia.

Typical use is some gaming (battlefield mostly), some 3D Cad applications, and general day to day internet/word/etc.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3dRGmq

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3dRGmq

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.89 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear 2.7 g Thermal Paste ($3.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $990.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-23 21:30 EDT-0400

Looks good to me. I would probably suggest going with AC MX4 for the thermal paste but a very small picky point. I would also suggest getting a higher wattage PSU. The one in your list will probably cover your power needs with the RTX 2070 but I would be more comfortable with 650 watts, especially if you upgrade the GPU in the future. An oft recommended unit on this forum is the EVGA G3 Supernova 650W.

Last edited:
Are your 3d cad applications able to take advantage of multiple threads? In other words, would you see a benefit from a 6c/12t CPU vs 6c/6t one selected, or even a 8c/16t? If so then you could consider a Ryzen setup, especially if you're gaming at 1440p you probably won't notice the clock difference vs an OC'd 2700. 2700 - $185 + B450 Tomahawk - $115 disclaimer: don't assume these boards will handle 12c or 16c for future upgrades.

What resolution and refresh rate do you want to play at? Any kind of sync tech? There are some pretty decent 5700XT AIB models now (Powercolor Red Dragon and a good dual fan Sapphire Pulse) as well, so you could see how they do in BF (assuming BFV) by looking at reviews.

I would try to step up in the PSU quality a bit, the CX are serviceable but something like the Supernova G3 or a Seasonic Focus + would be preferable. If you need room in your budget to afford a better PSU, you could go with the Ryzen 2600 and the motherboard I linked above.

Why not Zen2? A couple reasons, one is heat, most Zen2 CPUs should have a better cooler than a Hyper212, although it will probably function without throttling. The second is motherboard cost/compatibility. While sure the board I linked will run Zen2 with a BIOS flash, people have been having growing / pain issues with things like memory comparability. All that said, a 3600 for $199 is a pretty sweet deal.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I would probably suggest going with AC MX4 for the thermal paste but a very small picky point. I would also suggest getting a higher wattage PSU. The one in your list will probably cover your power needs with the RTX 2070 but I would be more comfortable with 650 watts, especially if you upgrade the GPU in the future. An oft recommended unit on this forum is the EVGA G3 Supernova 650W.

I will take a look, thanks. I was just going by pcpartpickers calculator that said 384 watts.

Are your 3d cad applications able to take advantage of multiple threads? In other words, would you see a benefit from a 6c/12t CPU vs 6c/6t one selected, or even a 8c/16t? If so then you could consider a Ryzen setup, especially if you're gaming at 1440p you probably won't notice the clock difference vs an OC'd 2700. 2700 - $185 + B450 Tomahawk - $115 disclaimer: don't assume these boards will handle 12c or 16c for future upgrades.

What resolution and refresh rate do you want to play at? Any kind of sync tech? There are some pretty decent 5700XT AIB models now (Powercolor Red Dragon and a good dual fan Sapphire Pulse) as well, so you could see how they do in BF (assuming BFV) by looking at reviews.

I would try to step up in the PSU quality a bit, the CX are serviceable but something like the Supernova G3 or a Seasonic Focus + would be preferable. If you need room in your budget to afford a better PSU, you could go with the Ryzen 2600 and the motherboard I linked above.

Why not Zen2? A couple reasons, one is heat, most Zen2 CPUs should have a better cooler than a Hyper212, although it will probably function without throttling. The second is motherboard cost/compatibility. While sure the board I linked will run Zen2 with a BIOS flash, people have been having growing / pain issues with things like memory comparability. All that said, a 3600 for $199 is a pretty sweet deal.

The 3d Cad applications do not generally take advantage of multiple cores very well. They will for FEA and rendering, but that is a very small percentage of the time I'm in the program.

My current monitor is 1440p, and 60hz. I have considered going to a wide format 3440x1440 monitor in the future.

I will look I to the ryzens, I'm just not as familiar with their performance. I know AMD used to be a great value.

If you don't see yourself taking advantage of the extra threads/cores, I would stick with the Intel, especially if you plan to OC. While it's true that Zen2 (3000 series AMD CPUs) have closed the IPC gap, the Intel will still clock higher. You can check out some benchmarks with those two CPUs.

Newegg has a $20 MIR on the SupernovaG3 right now.

I don't see an OS license listed. It is important to understand OEM licenses are not "legally" transferable to new computers under any circumstances (and a new motherboard constitutes a new computer). Only full "retail" licenses are legally transferable.

550W is fine, but as noted above it leaves little room for expansion should you decide to add RAM or more drives or upgrade your graphics and/or CPU a couple years down the road. So I agree that 650W would be better without going overboard. As an added bonus, going with a 650W supply would mean the system load on the PSU would less (in terms of percentage) and that could result in the PSU fan spinning slower (or even not at all!). And that, of course, means less fan noise - always good. I hate fan noise!

However, I agree with Zerileous and suggest you avoid the Corsair CX line. Either move up to their RMi, HX, or RMx "Gold" certified series PSUs, or as suggested a good EVGA (my preferred brand) or Seasonic supply. Note the main difference between the SuperNova G2 and G3 is physical size. The G3 series PSUs are a little smaller so they do fit better in smaller cases, some times making assembly a little easier. However, the G3's have a slightly smaller fan to fit the smaller case. With all else being equal, to move the same amount of air, smaller fans must spin faster. And higher RPMs means more fan noise. Did I mention I hate fan noise?

I fail to understand why some always automatically try to talk folks out of Intel. Both Intel and AMD make great and reliable processors. If you prefer Intel, go for it. Your Intel choice is just fine.

If you don't see yourself taking advantage of the extra threads/cores, I would stick with the Intel, especially if you plan to OC.

Sorry who's trying to talk anyone out of Intel? I simply asked if the OP could utilize additional threads.

I don't see an OS license listed. It is important to understand OEM licenses are not "legally" transferable to new computers under any circumstances (and a new motherboard constitutes a new computer). Only full "retail" licenses are legally transferable.

550W is fine, but as noted above it leaves little room for expansion should you decide to add RAM or more drives or upgrade your graphics and/or CPU a couple years down the road. So I agree that 650W would be better without going overboard. As an added bonus, going with a 650W supply would mean the system load on the PSU would less (in terms of percentage) and that could result in the PSU fan spinning slower (or even not at all!). And that, of course, means less fan noise - always good. I hate fan noise!

However, I agree with Zerileous and suggest you avoid the Corsair CX line. Either move up to their RMi, HX, or RMx "Gold" certified series PSUs, or as suggested a good EVGA (my preferred brand) or Seasonic supply. Note the main difference between the SuperNova G2 and G3 is physical size. The G3 series PSUs are a little smaller so they do fit better in smaller cases, some times making assembly a little easier. However, the G3's have a slightly smaller fan to fit the smaller case. With all else being equal, to move the same amount of air, smaller fans must spin faster. And higher RPMs means more fan noise. Did I mention I hate fan noise?

I fail to understand why some always automatically try to talk folks out of Intel. Both Intel and AMD make great and reliable processors. If you prefer Intel, go for it. Your Intel choice is just fine.

I will take a look at the g2 series then also, I have a full tower Silverstone case, so space isn't an issue for me. I also prefer a quiet computer, especially when working. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry who's trying to talk anyone out of Intel? I simply asked if the OP could utilize additional threads.

No worries, I appreciate the input. I'm not opposed to AMD at all, I just am not as familiar with their offerings, as I use Intel at work. After doing some reading, it appears the I5 series is probably the best bang/buck for what I use my system for.

Does anyone have any input on the RTX 2070 vs RTX 2060 Super vs the RXT 5700XT? They are all within $20-$30, and seem to perform almost identically. If that's the case, I assume it makes sense to go RTX since it has raytracing?

Keep in mind that the ray tracing technology is in it's infancy and in the lower end cards may not produce satisfactory results.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think I have decided to go with the above list, with the exception of going to a 650Watt EVGA supernova G3 power supply.

Back