• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 out 4 memory slots are not working on a Gigabyte Z97 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi,

My friend asked me to look at his new Z97 build. When he puts RAM in the first two slot the computer will continuously make short beeps and will not boot. It works fine when the last two slots are filled. He has four 4 GB DDR3 sticks. We tried all combinations of sticks and get the same results. Do you know why the first two slots won't work? To run dual channel, you need slots 1 and 3 and/or 2 and 4 filled. We checked Gigabyte's website and the memory is on the motherboard's supported list. Could it be a bent CPU pin? Thanks.

David

Could be a bent or damaged pin. So any of them appear out of place? It could also be a number of other problems. As long as the pins look undamaged, I would say your friend has a very good shot at RMA.

Could be a bent or damaged pin. So any of them appear out of place? It could also be a number of other problems. As long as the pins look undamaged, I would say your friend has a very good shot at RMA.

Hi, thanks for the reply. One of the pins in the CPU socket does look bent. I think he got the accidental warranty.

Can you get a clear picture of the socket? If so, I have a pin map floating around that I can tell you what it goes to.

Can you get a clear picture of the socket? If so, I have a pin map floating around that I can tell you what it goes to.

Thank you for the help! I will get a picture when I see him tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back