• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Setup probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedycougar

Registered
Hi guys, new to 'these' forums so hopefully i don't come across as a leech ;-)

Just setup the following

k6-2 450 running Win NT4 service pack 6a (Workstation) with a 56k modem (have to use NT4 as XP doesn't support PCTEL modem i have grr). This is used as the file server and ICS host.

2 external machines 1 running xp and other running win98 (nonSE) and a third optional laptop. All have static addresses and can be seen and used over the network which runs through a 10Mbps Hub.

The prob, From the NT4 machine I can use the remote desktop program supplied with XP to control the other machines but i cannot get remote access to the NT4 machine.( I want to remote boot and login from a workstation as the server is not running with keyboard or monitor).

How do I get NT4 to 'accept' incoming requests for remote access? Install a service or is there a hidden check box like in XP (Where is says select this option to have remote access from other machines?).

2nd and final prob is.... I don;t want the connection on all the time from the server only when a web page is displayed. How do i make the server dialout and disconnect when necessary without having to keep remote accessing the server from a workstation? I can't currently go to cable or ADSL as I won;t be in the house i'm in for 12 months so 56k is the only option.

Thanks for all your help in advance and i'll post news on whether i've been successful or not (on vacation at the mo so it will be 2 weeks until I can try it )

Matt

I have a domain controller (win2k advanced server though) and I use remote desktop connection from XP to control it without a problem. All remote desktop connection is is terminal services. I would see what version of TS you have on the NT box.

Do you have a firewall installed? If you do then make sure you set it up.If you don't have then wait and some one else will help you ;) .

PS.
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

I have to check which version of Terminal Server i'm using (which ever version is with NT4 service pack 6a). This is the first server based network I will have setup so it's a case of experimenting ;-)

I'm not running a firewall at the moment, as i want to make sure it isn't causing the probs.

Maybe (just maybe) I could take terminal service from the XP disc?

If my memory serves me right, Terminal Server was NOT included in the NT4 distro... You can try to install it off a 2000 Server cd...

If you cannot get that to work I would try something like VNC. (Virtual Network Computing). Do a search on Google...

Ok, i'll try the terminal server from 2000 or XP (I have both).

The other question >> if i dial-up using a remote modem (i use the modem on the remote machine to connect me to the net) does it disconnect automatically on the remote machine just as if it were on mine? I don't wan huge bills you see and would like to use the phone , lol

If those options do not work you may want to look into PC Anywhere or like the others mentioned VPN. I can't recall if NT4 has that feature you are looking for built in or not.

But let me know if the 2000 or XP pak work or not.

As soon as i'm back in Birm, i'll see if terminal is interoperable. I'll keep ya posted. All that is left now is world domination ;-)

Minor change to the plan. I've changed NT4 for 2000 instead as getting annoyed with NT4. Still no 'terminal services' in 2000 it seems unless you can load services of the CD, hmm. All the hassle of going up and down stairs, pluging/ unpluggig just to get remote control of a file server, damnit ;-(

I'll keep ya posted

Back