• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjkart20

Hey guys I have an AMD FX-6300 that's overclocked to 4.6. I am thinking about getting the FX-9590. I have an XFX R9 390 GPU. Will upgrading my CPU help with gaming or not really? Just want to hear peoples opinions. I know I should toss my AMD stuff and switch to intel but dont really have the money for a full switch. Thanks.

There might be a measurable difference, but whether it'll help or not is another matter. If you're having issues with minimum framerates dropping a bit too low to be unnoticeable, then an upgrade should help. If your max FPS goes from 120 to 130, you won't even notice. It's hard to say how many FPS you'll get and where, though, as it'll probably depend on the game. If you're on a tigh-ish budget, I think an FX-8370/FX-8350 might be a better choice for you. Costs less, draws less power (unless you OC) and will still give you some improvement over your FX-6300.

CPU upgrade won't help for gaming. More MHz will.
Other option, Intel.

CPU upgrade won't help for gaming. More MHz will.
Other option, Intel.
Agreed! Unless the game is taking advantage of all the the cores of a Fx 8/9xxx chip you're going to lose performance not gain. Reason being is you're most likely not overclocking a Fx 8xxx chip as high as the Fx 6300 on the H80iGT. I will also strongly suggest not getting a Fx 9590 I have not seen a single one pass through these forums that would run even stock on that Heatsink. They are beasts of a chip to try and keep cool, I'd be surprised if even a top of the line AIO H2O unit would be enough.

Agreed! Unless the game is taking advantage of all the the cores of a Fx 8/9xxx chip you're going to lose performance not gain. Reason being is you're most likely not overclocking a Fx 8xxx chip as high as the Fx 6300 on the H80iGT. I will also strongly suggest not getting a Fx 9590 I have not seen a single one pass through these forums that would run even stock on that Heatsink. They are beasts of a chip to try and keep cool, I'd be surprised if even a top of the line AIO H2O unit would be enough.

Yeah, I'd agree with Manny here. My 8320e was getting pretty close to the limits on my old H80 set to max cooling. I'm in the process of going custom loop to push her harder.

What's the point of looking to adopt 8 core chip when we still have games using only 3-4 cores? maybe... and that's only maybe.. getting an extra FPU unit courtesy of the FX 8xxx series may help, of course depending on the game.

For the record I've noticed a game like 'Skyrim' choosing cores 0,2 & 5 to do most of its cpu work. I"m guessing its hunting for the FPU units?? that's not to say the other cores drop below 50% usage though.

I guess I could try pushing the 6300 a little bit further

Have you tried raising BCLK? I did that with mine and on my mobo, NB & HTT frequency raise in sync, got mine up to 255 without too much fiddling with voltages in bios, produces nice lift in cache efficiency and of course memory performance.
Don't know if your into FO4, but latest around the traps indicates this game loves high bandwith ram, odd for PC game... :)

IF the CPU is actually bottle necking your GPU there's two things I could suggest. First drop down to 4 cores and add another multi or two to speed things up.
Second would be to invest in better cooling and increase speed on all cores. There are only a few titles that will use more than 4 cores at present anyway so going to an 8 core means more heat so more cooling or lower OC and the 9590 is just too much for most people without custom water cooling to keep it under control.

I agree with Johan, I'd stray away from a 9590 just because their TDP is so freakin high. Sure, you can crank out some impressive numbers overclocking it, but without spending 1 metric asston on high end custom loop, it's kinda pointless. I'd say roll with an 8370e or 8350 and set yourself up with a decent AIO or entry level custom loop and push up to 4.8-5.0ghz. Sure, single thread processing is the standard in gaming now, but by this time next year multi-threaded processing will take over.

I agree with Johan, I'd stray away from a 9590 just because their TDP is so freakin high. Sure, you can crank out some impressive numbers overclocking it, but without spending 1 metric asston on high end custom loop, it's kinda pointless. I'd say roll with an 8370e or 8350 and set yourself up with a decent AIO or entry level custom loop and push up to 4.8-5.0ghz. Sure, single thread processing is the standard in gaming now, but by this time next year multi-threaded processing will take over.

The TDP is just as high with any 8-core at 4.8-5.0 whether it is a 9590 or not.

Back