• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skylake 6700K questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCM0nk3y

Right now most places are out of stock with regards to the I7 6700K. I'm building a new gaming computer and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the 6700K to come back in stock, or if it makes since to maybe go with a 5820K or something similar?

I will be strictly gaming on this computer as I have a laptop I use for work, music/media and internet surfing.

This is currently what my build looks like:

CPU - Intel I7 6700K (currently out of stock)
MB - Gigabyte Z170 UD5
Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 2666
Video - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified
HD - 500 gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD
PSU - EVGA Supernova 850W P2 (Platinum rating)
Cooling - Corsair H105 Liquid CPU Cooler
Case - Corsair Carbide 540
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I know you can't really future proof, but I would like this build to work for at least a few years. I guess I'm basically wondering if I'd be losing out on a lot of performance and future (time) by going with a 5820k over a 6700k. I'm not against waiting for the 6700K, I'm just not sure if it's worth it or not.

If gaming only the 6700k is the better choice, it will slightly outperform the 5820k due to it's higher clock speeds. Very few games out there will utilize all the cores/threads of either of them. The only reason why I would choose a 5820k over the 6700k is if you were running software that will utilize all 6c/12t.

As far as the build, if you haven't purchased the other components yet, there are some I would change.
I would get faster ram, such as these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231875
You also do not need anything close to 850w of power. Even if you go Sli a 750w unit such as the EVGA 750w P2 would be fine.

If gaming only the 6700k is the better choice, it will slightly outperform the 5820k due to it's higher clock speeds. Very few games out there will utilize all the cores/threads of either of them. The only reason why I would choose a 5820k over the 6700k is if you were running software that will utilize all 6c/12t.

As far as the build, if you haven't purchased the other components yet, there are some I would change.
I would get faster ram, such as these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231875
You also do not need anything close to 850w of power. Even if you go Sli a 750w unit such as the EVGA 750w P2 would be fine.

I've purchased everything but the CPU, MOBO, RAM, and CPU Cooler. I know the 850w it a little more than I needed, but I figured if I wanted to expand in the future it'd give me more room.

One question, the RAM you listed says Intel X99 Platform, will that still work with the 6700K and Z170 mobo? I know it's a stupid question, but I was just curious why they put X99 Platform in the product name.

Last edited:
For all intents and purposes in this case RAM is RAM, it is 'certified' to run on that platform but it will run just fine on Z170.

I've purchased everything but the CPU, MOBO, RAM, and CPU Cooler. I know the 850w it a little more than I needed, but I figured if I wanted to expand in the future it'd give me more room.

One question, the RAM you listed says Intel X99 Platform, will that still work with the 6700K and Z170 mobo? I know it's a stupid question, but I was just curious why they put X99 Platform in the product name.
If you purchased everything all ready no worries then, I was just looking to save you a few pennies. Nothing wrong with the build, you likely will not see much difference between 2666 and 3k Mhz ram anyway.

If you purchased everything all ready no worries then, I was just looking to save you a few pennies. Nothing wrong with the build, you likely will not see much difference between 2666 and 3k Mhz ram anyway.

I really appreciate the help. I will switch to the 3k Mhz ram as I haven't ordered that yet and it's not that much more than the 2666 I was originally going to get. I now just have to wait for the I7 6700k to come back in stock (hopefully it doesn't take too long).

For me 5820K is better CPU in general and maybe it's just my luck but it's also easier to keep stable overclocked than 6600K/6700K. For general home use there is no difference which one you pick. Z170 boards will probably have longer support as they're new but that's all. For X99 there will be new CPU series in about middle of 2016 and I expect it to be the last series for that chipset.

6700K likes ~3200+ memory. Many new kits are cheap so if you can find something 3200+ for $5 more then it's worth to pay. If difference is much bigger then stick to DDR4-3000.
If you look for 3000+ memory then I recommend G.Skill Ripjaws V or Trident Z as they're working good on all Skylake boards.
There are sometimes issues with Gigabyte boards. You may need new BIOS for that. There are also constant issues with Corsair RAM on Z170 boards. I can only tell you that nearly all Z170+RAM issues on the forums are reported by Corsair+Gigabyte users.

For me 5820K is better CPU in general and maybe it's just my luck but it's also easier to keep stable overclocked than 6600K/6700K. For general home use there is no difference which one you pick. Z170 boards will probably have longer support as they're new but that's all. For X99 there will be new CPU series in about middle of 2016 and I expect it to be the last series for that chipset.

6700K likes ~3200+ memory. Many new kits are cheap so if you can find something 3200+ for $5 more then it's worth to pay. If difference is much bigger then stick to DDR4-3000.
If you look for 3000+ memory then I recommend G.Skill Ripjaws V or Trident Z as they're working good on all Skylake boards.
There are sometimes issues with Gigabyte boards. You may need new BIOS for that. There are also constant issues with Corsair RAM on Z170 boards. I can only tell you that nearly all Z170+RAM issues on the forums are reported by Corsair+Gigabyte users.

Not to throw another wrinkle into this, but would it be smarter to save a little bit more money and go with a 4790K? I'm just wondering if it really serves me well to shell out so much money for a 5820K or 6700K build if a 4790K build would work, or would that be a big drop in performance?

I'm not planning a huge overclock, just mainly looking for a great gaming PC that will last a few years.

I do apologize for all the questions, I just don't want to make a decision I'm going to regret a year from now.

Last edited:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/3502vs2384

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...coliid=I6NJGNSPU60QT&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl

Find strange that so few people use Amazon, usually the better option, almost always in stock for a better price. Quick dirty reply is that the 6700k is slightly faster while being slightly cooler.

That's great and all, but I'm not in the UK. Amazon for the US has some 6700K's but they are asking close to $450, which I'm not going to spend when I could wait and find them for $50-100 cheaper when they are back in stock.

Not to throw another wrinkle into this, but would it be smarter to save a little bit more money and go with a 4790K? I'm just wondering if it really serves me well to shell out so much money for a 5820K or 6700K build if a 4790K build would work, or would that be a big drop in performance?

I'm not planning a huge overclock, just mainly looking for a great gaming PC that will last a few years.

I do apologize for all the questions, I just don't want to make a decision I'm going to regret a year from now.
I would bet the 4790k would last almost as long performance wise as the 6700k if you wanted to save a bit of money. That said the Z97 socket is dead and DDR4 is the future for now, so if you wanted to "future proof" there will be no upgrade for the Z97 board. If you go with a Z170 and DDR4 there may be another Z170 Intel chip you could upgrade to.

Do you happen to live near a Microcenter?

Ok, so... Wait. Was only a suggestion like all the others :D $450 sounds about right for price from what I've seen. Also pro tip, Amazon tends to drop prices when stock runs low.

Edit : I take it back, had no idea the dollar was still so weak, $450 sounds like a too good to be true bargain...

Last edited:
I would bet the 4790k would last almost as long performance wise as the 6700k if you wanted to save a bit of money. That said the Z97 socket is dead and DDR4 is the future for now, so if you wanted to "future proof" there will be no upgrade for the Z97 board. If you go with a Z170 and DDR4 there may be another Z170 Intel chip you could upgrade to.

Do you happen to live near a Microcenter?

Unfortunately I'm in Nebraska, and there aren't really any good tech stores near me, so I'm at the mercy of Newegg, Amazon, and other internet sites.

With what you mentioned about the 4790k maybe lasting as long as the 6700K, I think I'm going to go that route. I priced out a build and saved myself $170 over what I was going to purchase.

Here's what I'm thinking:

CPU - I7 4790K Devils Canyon
Mobo - ASRock Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
RAM - G Skill TridentX Series 16gb (2x8) DDR3 2133mhz Cas Latency 9
CPU Cooler - Corsair H105

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so... Wait. Was only a suggestion like all the others :D $450 sounds about right for price from what I've seen. Also pro tip, Amazon tends to drop prices when stock runs low.

Edit : I take it back, had no idea the dollar was still so weak, $450 sounds like a too good to be true bargain...

Well when I looked a week ago, I could have had the 6700K from Newegg for $356 and the regular price on Newegg for it is $399. I just don't feel right spending an extra $50-100 just because it's out of stock at other places. I do realize that supply and demand determine prices, but I'm just not willing to spend it.

I really appreciate everybody's help, thank you so much!

Unfortunately I'm in Nebraska, and there aren't really any good tech stores near me, so I'm at the mercy of Newegg, Amazon, and other internet sites.

With what you mentioned about the 4790k maybe lasting as long as the 6700K, I think I'm going to go that route. I priced out a build and saved myself $170 over what I was going to purchase.

Here's what I'm thinking:

CPU - I7 4790K Devils Canyon
Mobo - ASRock Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
RAM - G Skill TridentX Series 16gb (2x8) DDR3 2133mhz Cas Latency 9
CPU Cooler - Corsair H105

- - - Updated - - -

Well when I looked a week ago, I could have had the 6700K from Newegg for $356 and the regular price on Newegg for it is $399. I just don't feel right spending an extra $50-100 just because it's out of stock at other places. I do realize that supply and demand determine prices, but I'm just not willing to spend it.

I really appreciate everybody's help, thank you so much!
I don't know what happened to the 6700k prices, I bought mine a month ago at Microcenter for $319.00 now it's $359.00. Wth!

I don't know what happened to the 6700k prices, I bought mine a month ago at Microcenter for $319.00 now it's $359.00. Wth!

Right now with places out of stock, one seller is asking $460 on Amazon and $450 at this BHPhoto place. It's crazy. Friday night if I would have just pulled the trigger I could have got one for $356 from Newegg, but now Newegg is out of stock.

Ah well though, I think I'm going to like the 4790K build for what I'm going to be using the PC for. I can take that $170 I saved and buy some games or maybe another SSD.

Looks like either they raised prices due to a shortage of chips or raised them to make them look like they're on sale for Black Friday.

I just think that all prices are starting to go up because of Christmas season. I don't think it's related to one country as I see some weird price bumps in Poland too. Not for all products but on some from latest deliveries.

The skylake chips have been in very short supply since august, nothing really changed
Other cpu prices are fine

I really appreciate the help. I will switch to the 3k Mhz ram as I haven't ordered that yet and it's not that much more than the 2666 I was originally going to get. I now just have to wait for the I7 6700k to come back in stock (hopefully it doesn't take too long).
Silicone lottery has them in stock, cheaper than Newegg too.

Looks like either they raised prices due to a shortage of chips or raised them to make them look like they're on sale for Black Friday.

I don't think so, I think it is just third party sellers capitalizing on low-stock on main retailers commanding whatever price they want to set. I'd be surprised if actual newegg or Amazon charged more than a tiny bit over normal MSRP for the chips (especially not in the $400-450 range).

Back