• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever just buy a computer part

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bambamshere

So I bought a Silver Stone Strider Gold 80plus Gold Power Supply this past June because it was on sale. Not sure now what to do with it. I was going to put it in my computer because I also bought a 980ti. My OCZ 650 is doing just fine with know problems. I was also thinking of the mess of cables inside my machine. Most would be happy but not me. I hate messy lol.

Ok back to the part I'm really not sure what to do with this thing. Don't want to sell it. Would it be to much to put in my computer and would it because it is at least 4 years newer then my 650w be nicer to my electricity bill.

Just wondering

a very little cheaper to run, but it sounds like it would be 4 years newer and safer.
watt the rig draws is what the rig draws, that is not defined by the psu, the psu just puts out what the rig asks for.
but 4 years newer is 4 years safer.

and yes, I have stacks of pieces laying around that I had such grand ideas for, now that pile of stuff is called the junk pile, it works but I have no use for it.
the other is the trash pile, that's the stuff that does not work but I'm to lazy to throw it in the trash.

It will save some on electricity as it is gold rated vs bronze. Let's assume your power draw on the psu is 400 watts. Your current psu requires an input wattage of 470 watts to supply that. The gold rated psu will require 445 watts to achieve this so a savings of 25 watts. I see that you fold and run seti so let's assume you average 20 hours per day with your computer under load. This means you will save .5 kwh a day. If you extrapolate that out you will save 182.5 kwh per year. Assuming 13 cents per kwh you will save $23.73 on your electric bill per year. I don't know how accurate three numbers are for your situation but it gives you a general idea.

Power supplies do have a life span... and if you already have this in hand, I would put it in. Being a modular power supply, you only have to hook up the wiring that you need, so this would help with hiding unwanted cables.

Absolutely. There is no reason not to use the product you already have on hand.

A power supply is one component you don't want to tempt fate with. with your old OCZ psu, while only 4 years old, is still older. flip in, connect and forget it exists for another 4 years. Test it's output with a multimeter before you get started though, it will save you time later. Paperclip trick. Orange to black. It doesn't hurt to be thorough. Then test the old one, and if all the rails are in spec, sell it. Or throw it in a HTPC build, Or on a shelf like some macabre trophy. IDK, do whatever you want with it. Could probably get ~ $30 for it.

Absolutely. There is no reason not to use the product you already have on hand.

A power supply is one component you don't want to tempt fate with. with your old OCZ psu, while only 4 years old, is still older. flip in, connect and forget it exists for another 4 years. Test it's output with a multimeter before you get started though, it will save you time later. Paperclip trick. Orange to black. It doesn't hurt to be thorough. Then test the old one, and if all the rails are in spec, sell it. Or throw it in a HTPC build, Or on a shelf like some macabre trophy. IDK, do whatever you want with it. Could probably get ~ $30 for it.
I'm pretty sure you meant to type in GREEN to BLACK????

I'd swap PSU's too. Sure the OCZ is only 4 years old but that's getting up there in age. Swap it now to prevent any problems later :)

I picked up a Coolmax PS-228 ATX power supply tester and it does really well. Comes in really handy if you ever want to get into making custom cables/sleeving and then test them before you put them into your system.

pretty easy to find.
the two to jump are, if you face the atx connector at you with the locking clip up, they are the third and forth from the left on the top row.

a vid for you, at about 8.20 he shows where to jumper it>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<

Last edited:
pretty easy to find. the two to jump are, if you face the atx connector at you with the locking clip up, they are the third and forth from the left on the top row.

As pin 3 and 4 works very nicely, you can achieve the same results using other pins (which brings back the green and black). I bought one of these from MicroCenter and they put the jumper on pin 4 and 5 so I'm including an image of the ATX 24 pinout. The key is GREEN and BLACK in this image.

ATX_24_Pinout.jpeg

What if your power supply only has black wires?
One must then count the pins just like you have shown in the pinout you posted :)

My EVGA PSU has all black wires so I understand what you mean.
Though, mine came with an adapter to turn on the PSU without a mobo attached. (It shorts pins 15 and 16)

you guys can use all the colors you like, I have to use a pin out, I'm color blind, I have never seen red, green or yellow and have no idea on earth what they are.
I see a bunch of grey, black, white and one blue pin, the two next to the blue are the two you want.

Back