• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Saturns modified mega drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
So I made up my mind, I'm overclocking and modding my old mega drive. That's a sega genesis for us Americans.
I'll be recapping the motherboard and overclocking the cpu at the very least. I may add a cpu socket to the motherboard and maybe even upgrade the CPU but I been trying to save money and as such I may not.

I will be using nichicon caps, I'd love to use low esr audio grade caps but I'll going to save the money and use general use caps.
Any other mods I can do let me know.

Here is the sock board.
View attachment 172939

The audio caps.
View attachment 172943

The video output caps
View attachment 172941

The CPU is a mc68000 runing at 8mhz
View attachment 172942

Last edited:
I may do a region jumper mod, but I don't think I would ever use it.

I may do a region jumper mod, but I don't think I would ever use it.
You can always go back and do it later.

I'm thinking of doing the RGB mod on the N64 and getting some Component + C-Sync video out of it :)

I thought about doing a rgb mod, but I have an crt tv so it's mostly useless unless if I add a rgb input to the tv.

Full retro experience eh? :D

Yes. It's a very high end set from the 80's that I repaird. I can even answer the phone with it and use the remote as a microphone. I even had a small pc inside it for awhile so I could use it as a smart tv. Only down side is finding parts and moving it, it's a 28 incher and waits over 200 pounds.
Old game consoles look horrible on new flatscreens do to scaling. That and I own a Saturn witch is garbage on any new tv. And you can't use light guns with a flatscreen.
I have a set of pioneer cs-88 hooked up to it too. I bet my next door neighbors love me. Between my cs-88's and rc car with a straight pipe they would have too. Haha 50krpms sound amazing with a straight pipe.

Last edited:

I have read that recaping the mega drive can really help with video and sound output.
The sound gets cleaner and the video will have better colors and is brighter
I believe that the 10mhz oscillator is in the mail too!

On a side note I found a place online that is selling angry birds for Mega Drive.
HAHA they have all sorts of boot leg games for the Mega Drive I may buy a few. World a tanks and tekken 3, even Mario bros and gt5 :rofl:

Anyway given how simple the region mod is I'll just do it. I'll start it tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT:
oh good lord they have battle toads...:facepalm:

I'd post a link to the site but given the fact that they're selling boot legs I'm not going to.

Last edited:
God I hate re-capping. :p
Had to recap my server, and even then I only did 2 caps!

Good luck! I look forward to seeing more pics and pls don't burn your thumbs like me :)

God I hate re-capping. :p
Had to recap my server, and even then I only did 2 caps!

Good luck! I look forward to seeing more pics and pls don't burn your thumbs like me :)
I don't mind it. If I was doing it right I would have been done by now. But I dont have a wick or pump. Nor could I find all the caps on mouser with the right lead spacing. The caps that were on it did not have the right spacing ether. As for burning my thumbs, I'd have to hold the tip for a wile for that. I'm a black smith and sometimes I grab hot of steel by hand. Not the part that's in the forge, but the part that's sticking out. Witch is still hot enough to trun water into steam. I have also grab/moved hot coals by hand. Scary.

Last edited:
I'm a black smith and sometimes I grab hot of steel by hand. Not the part that's in the forge, but the part that's sticking out. Witch is still hot enough to trun water into steam. I have also grab/moved hot coals by hand. Scary. Manly.
FTFY ;)

I used an old sewing pin. I didn't even know about pumps or wicks until I looked up recapping the day I got my caps :p

FTFY ;)

I used an old sewing pin. I didn't even know about pumps or wicks until I looked up recapping the day I got my caps :p

I been useibg the heat and pull method. Takes longer but it works.
I have used sewing pins too. Pumps can be problematic if your not careful, they and pull the pad or lead right off.

Back