• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

775 FSB/mem straps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL quickFast. Yeah, the solars BIOS fixed a southbridge problem for me, but I never got past 480 fsb with my E8600 on water. For pure FSB there are probably better options out there - provided the links aren't broken.

IMO though, flashing to a Rampage BIOS is the way to go because of the better memory tweaking options.

ahhh over thinking it - i would slow down and throw your e8400 in and kill it before you flash it but back to your ? if I remember solor has nothing to do with overclocking any bios will fill your needs

edit- hope you now what i mean when i say kill it 6.0ghz or bust:D

LOL quickFast. Yeah, the solars BIOS fixed a southbridge problem for me, but I never got past 480 fsb with my E8600 on water. For pure FSB there are probably better options out there - provided the links aren't broken.

IMO though, flashing to a Rampage BIOS is the way to go because of the better memory tweaking options.

That was my plan. To flash to the latest Rampage file from ASUS site. As for the e8400. I kind of wanted to do a direct comparison with all the same parts but new bios. To see if it'll let me move the 9550 up a bit higher without some of the weird mem issues I was seeing. I know it wasn't voltage or temp limited.

Well , it was a sucess. I also did the pencil mod for VDrop and it worked wonders. Testing the 400 1:1 strap right now at 450 FSB. As you can see the voltage I had it set to 1.3v in bios and it's almost bang on even under load. Prior to the mod I would have had it set to at least 1.35v in bios.

Rampage conversion and Vrop fix.JPG

I was able to run at 492 but only with 266 strap and the NB voltage was getting pretty high at 1.75 . Since I don't know limits on this one I stopped there. You're right Q_F it's the board that doesn't want to go higher with a quad in it. I'll try a different chip tomorrow/Monday and see how that one goes.

Last edited:
Here's the e8400 in it. Tried to do a Cinebench run at 4950 with 1300 mem but the NB needed more and it was already in the red.

e8400.JPG

Johan, I don't think you meant to lock this thread. I unlocked it for you.

It's this new AIO KB. I swear it has a mind of it's own. Thanks

Wow, that's some fast ddr2! One of my e8400s will do around 5.0 on water in a very cold room, but I think that only puts it around 1000 mem. Although never tried with only 2 sticks in it, always had 4. Speaking of ddr2 sticks, if I rma some gskill ddr2, think they have any ddr2 to send back to me, or will I get ddr3 in return?

Hopefully they still have some stock maybe it'll be a substitute for something better. G.Skill made a lot of different DDR2

this is a set of 2x2gb ddr2-1000 cl5
checking memory lists in the past lead me to believe they were pretty good sticks.
now the system will no longer boot unless one of the sticks is pulled.
put in a set of corsair dominators and things are now kosher

If you ever plan on benching it that's too much ram any way. 2x1Gb sticks would work the best. What is that corsair model and rev.#

actually got a bunch of pretty decent ddr2 sticks, but all are 2gb ones
dominators are CM2X2048-8500C5D ver 2.2... 1066mhz cl5
got some mushkin blackline 1066 cl5 stuff as well, thats in my htpc, and some gskill pii's 1000 cl5's, but i cant see the sticker on them right now, either, haha.
the ones where one of the sticks is causing the pc to not boot are just some regular old gskill sticks

Those sticks are dominator 1066 2x1Gb will run 5-5-5 for a long ways given enough voltage 1400 5-7-7 http://valid.x86.fr/bej0n8 about 2.5ish volts. I didn't want to break them.

Good read on memory settings, applies to all the X38/48 Asus MBs. Might be losing the mem divider because tRD was set to tight had the problem with my P5E now that I've had time to recall from my slow hard drive brain.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2427/7

Last edited:
775 system, especially with X38 and x48 boards can get picky with ram setting in general when overclocking past 400fsb.

Anyway nice OC's Johan.

Got a few more. I tested a couple CPUs but this one shows promise. Well over 1.5 and still decent volts. This one needs to get chilly. The ram is playing nice too

gb 1705 3125.JPG

Yep flares, Could likely get a bit higher but not sure how far to overvolt the NB on air. In the 1.7v range already.

Back