• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC help -P5KC- -E2200-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oppermafkees

Hello everyone!

I applied to the forum here because I found the most useful info here and I'm hoping you all can help me get a bit further on my OC to :)

For the last 3 years I ran a P5LD2 Deluxe + D820 2.4 @ 3.34Ghz with a WC setup so I am not new to the OC - test - going further - test - ect. stuff ;)

Ok here is the deal, someone gifted me a Dell something something computer that had been dusted to death :p So I started pulling the parts and testing them. I found that the E2200 processor was still woking after testing it in my girlfriends pc. So I bought a 2nd hand P5KC build the rig and decided I wanted to push it to the max as I have the tools for it :D

Oh yeah before i forget there was one problem at 1st, the mainboard wouldn't start with my Spire Rocketeer 650W, it just gave me a blinking mainboard LED. After some research I found out it was not happy with the power it supplied, so i swapped it for a Enermax 500W and it booted without a hitch!

Well now to the OCing, but let me 1st post all the specs so there are no questions about that :)

ASUS P5KC
Intel E2200
Geforce 460 GTX
OCZ ReaperX 800 4Gb Kit
Enermax 500W PSU
Thermaltake Tribe Watercooler (Modded to dual heatsink)

I know the power is tight but it should be sufficient I guess..

After 3 days of tweaking and testing I got to this:

1st of all I tested how far my memory would go, I used this guide posted on the OCZ site to go to 1066 on the kit in one step :D did some memtest and all looks nice and stable.

For all the remaining steps I used 1 to 4 hours of Prime95, because 24 hours per step seems a bit much would take me a week to get a bit of results :p
Also all stable results where archived with all mainboard voltage settings on [Auto] except for the vCore and memory voltage

Ok on to the CPU with divider on x11
I went from FSB 200 to 240 with a 1.35vCore after that I needed to bump the voltage,
on 250 I needed 1.4vCore to get stable,
on 260 I couldn't get it stable even at 1.5vCore, I tried numerous settings for NB,FSB,ect voltages nothing seemed to really help. Even made it worse, on auto it would boot but crash on Prime but raising some voltages just stopped it from booting or gave Windows crashed

So.. I stopped there 11x250=2.75Ghz just a minor overclock in my opinion

Then I decided I should check if it was the FSB needing more power or what ever..

Put the divider back to x6 and with a few steps the FSB was on 400!
Again all voltages on auto only vCore on 1.35, later I tweaked this a bit more and went down to 1.2875 which I feel is minimum for this setting.

I decided to keep this as my 'fallback' because my RAM can now run on 1:1 and it is very stable, just finished a 12hour Prime95 with 0 errors.

Well as this feels kinda 'stock' (CPU @ 2.4Ghz) to me I started trying other multipliers
on 8x i got to 360 FSB with a 1.4 vCore.
But going beyond this I needed to up the FSB and NB voltages to go further,
370 FSB vCore 1.475, FSB 1.4v, NB 1.55v seemed to give the best results but my temps rose from 53c under load to 59c under load! Quite a lot in my opinion.
And I find the voltage increase from the stock FSB 1.2v and NB 1.25v kinda big..
Later I did a 1.5h Prime run and decided I could test out a bit of gaming on this setting but the PC hard crashed after 3hours and wouldn't even let me back into windows.

I do know now the CPU can run at 2.88Ghz easy because that setting did survive a 4 hour prime run.

Ok I decided to go back to my 'stable' one 6x400=2.4Ghz and up the multiplier to x7 this would give me a decent OC for now and I can go back to my gaming addiction :salute:
Well it was a no go, its not even posting :( tried upping FSB and NB but still no boot..
Also upping the FSB over 420 on the x6 multi will stop it from booting and again I cant find the right voltages to get it better..

I am wondering what I am missing here..

There are some voltages that I don't know how to use exactly like CPU Pll and GTL reference but from what i read on other OC results most people never touch these.

To sum up:

Memory is fine can go up to 1066Mhz no problem but
on x11 multi it will go FSB 250 / 2.75Ghz vCore @ 1.4
on x8 multi it will go to FSB 360 / 2.88Ghz vCore @ 1.4
on x6 multi it will go to FSB 400 / 2.4Ghz vCore @ 1.2875

but in all cases if I either up the multi or FSB a bit it just wont get stable! I would prefer to keep the FSB @ 400 so my RAM doesn't run at low speed when I keep my 1:1 on it.
But I would like the multi to go up by 1 then so I am at 2.8Ghz, sounds like a quite decent OC to me.

Hope someone can help me get it done! :)

Last but not least I'll insert the BIOS settings that are available:

This is my current config:

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio Control: Manual
Ratio CMOS Setting: 6
FSB Strap to Northbridge: 400
FSB Frequency: 400
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 800MHz
DRAM Command Rate: 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency: 4
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
RAS# Precharge: 3
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 10
TWR: Auto
TRFC: Auto
TWTR: Auto
TRRD: Auto
TRTP: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Enabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Enabled

Transaction Booster: Enabled
Boost/Relax level Level: 0

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.2875v
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage: 2.10v
North Bridge Voltage: Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage: Auto
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: Auto
North Bridge GTL Voltage Reference: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Control: Manual
Ratio CMOS Setting: 6
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

HELP!

7x 370 all on [auto] works like a charm (even vcore is on auto, makes it 1.44v bit high, i can set it to 1.3v in bios to get the same stability but i am trying about everything now ;)) (i ran a overnight prime95 on this and its 100% stable @ 1.3v)

now i got 7x 380 to boot into windows by setting cpu-pll to 1.7v
also changing CPU-GTL reference to 0.63x and NB-GTL reference to 0.67x seems to help but it's not consistent enough to say what it does, should i use other value's for these?
i can put vcore on anything from 1.325v to 1.475v but keep getting the same result, prime95 stops within 15 seconds on both cores.

please help me find the settings i need..

That board and cpu are getting very long in the tooth. P55, X58 and now Sandy Bridge are out and some of those are getting old as well. Point is that those who nomrally post helps are those that stay current or nearly so with the platforms. We lose our memory of what those older systems will do. Plus each board changes how they label various menus for voltages and stuff. So when the boards generally disappear from view we forget what the older boards not in our hands have called stuff since we no longer see those boards enough to remember what to do with boards we did not have actually in our hands.

Now I g00gled overclocking some of the older E2200s and the general opinion was that they take a 'lot' of Vcore and was best when ram ratio was 1:1.

So if you have your setup with ram at 1:1 and are clocking upwards it will take more voltage than you imagine and then the temps will rise as well.

Most of the time the other voltages were hardly mentioned as needing changed. But they might. It appears you have a cpu that is a poor overclocker since you are at 1:1 and your only choice is more Vcore. Some had to run as 1.5 Vcore to reach 2.9Ghz. That is about all I can uncover for that older configuration.

ok thank you very much for the reply, looks like i'm on my own..

btw i already read through 25+ e2200 oc topics and i can't find any general settings.. i guy was @ 1.25vCore some go up to 1.575vCore! is it just a thing like you're lucky or your not?

one more btw, if someone is looking for help on a setting like this i will keep posting results if i brake another barrier :)

1st thing is already there!

i found the bottleneck!

i put cpu-pll to 1.7v and clock-overcharging voltage to 1.0v and am running prime as we speak, looks solid stable at this moment :) one side-note on that i placed an extra fan on the water-cooler block to cool the area around the cpu, read it can get really hot at these settings..

Yep you are likely on your own as you surmise. At times there are users that come in with the older stuffz, but so often they are not the kind to actually post. Sometimes and perhaps you will see one.

It is nice that you will continue to post results. That might bring someone out of hiding.

I would suggest for their benefit that you create a signature with your system specs in it; along the lines of the information shown in my signature template. It will make it easier to make sense of your posts as you move away from the first page of the thread.

Good luck man, it seems you are on the upward highway.

Ok I ran this (see above for the 'This is my current config') for about a month now, it is nice and stable. No Blue Screens no crashes and nice gaming performance (CPU Temps do go up to 50c when gaming (52c with prime) but I applied some cheap thermal paste to the WC-Block so I think that is to blame)

I do have encountered 2 problems: Sleep is not working properly, or rather wake-up is not working, after sleep it comes on with fans spinning but no signal on display. (Need to use power button for turning on, mouse nor keyboard works for this) Then I need to turn the thing off completely (reset just gives same as when it 1st wakes up) on powering on I get a message 'Overclocking failed! Enter setup bla bla bla.. Then after entering setup it boots up and takes me to where I left it before sleep.
(I read a lot about this and it seems to be a common problem)

Also I have a problem with high network usage, when I copy stuff over the network (this includes streaming movies and music) the network connection 'crashes' after a while.. I haven't been able to narrow it down to a certain amount of traffic or a certain amount of packets yet..
It just stops working and I have to turn the network adapter off and on again to get the connection working.

(While writing this I decided to try sleep and network on default BIOS settings, same thing happens with both only without the 'OC failed' message with the sleep thing.
So I guess this is not related to the config its probably just a ****ty chipset :(
To bad, I probably will have to get used to it.. will install a pci ethernet card and hope this solves the network issue..)

Ok back to the OCing..

I'm gonna try some more configs in the coming time and will post them here..

Back