• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really scary problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would almost say with certainty that you are experiencing power spikes that are killing your psu's. I lived in a older apartment building built in the late seventies and went through two power supplies and countless DVR boxes from AT&T. I called PG&E when my new tv power brick died and they informed that the wiring for my complex wasn't up to code and needed to be replaced. I moved three months later and one year after that complex had an electrical fire that burned three units to the ground.

To the OP, sounds like a neutral wiring problem. That's a fire hazard! Get an electrician!

My only question here -- and lets be sure to mention that I dont have any knowledge in this area, but am simply asking for clarity-- is could such a think fry his UPS as well. I can wrap my mind around a built up charge moving backward through the line and toasting on component, but I would think that a UPS would be shielded against such things and would survive.

It's like an ESD pop...it's not really the voltage but the RAPID discharge of the voltage.

Back