• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Solved!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Retrowave

Registered
Greetings :), im really hoping someone can help me out with this...cause i have no idea what to do...

So i just bought a new GPU, an GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB, and the technician at the pc store (since ive never built a pc before), after i called him, he told me that apparently the PC doesnt start..

This is my rig:

- CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 - 3.30GHz 6MB LGA 1155

- GPU: Ati Radeon HD7970 3GB GDDR5 Vapor-X Ghz edition (previous gpu)

- RAM: Kingston PC4-10600 1333MHZ 16GB HyperX Fury Blue CL9 (2x8GB) DDR3

- Motherboard: Asus Chipset Intel H61 SK1155 2xDDE3/HDMI mATX-P8H61-MLE

- PSU: Corsair CX750

So im thinking, let's do a process of elimination:

The first thing that came to my mind since the employee cant start the computer is perhaps that the new GPU requires a higher Wattage PSU? the recommended wattage of PSU required for the new gpu = 500W, so that's out of the way since i have a 750W.

Could it be the MOBO slot does not correspond? i thought that since the GPU slot is 3.0 and i have a 2.0 slot that it wouldnt work but apparently it does. At least that's what ive read in forums...

Could it be that the GPU is faulty? i really doubt it.

Could it be that the slot of the motherboard is faulty? well i asked that to the technician and apparently he tried it with another random GPU and it works...

Ive read somewhere that a guy got it to work by changing something in BIOS to what it's called Legacy mode :sly:...but since the computer doesnt start i dont know..

Im hoping you guys could help me out, because at this point im getting a bit upset with the technician (hope its not bad wiring), and im just thinking on getting my pc back from the store and try to do it myself....

oh and i apologize for my english :-/

Last edited:
ok so got way lost in your post cause you said he tried it with another random gpu and it worked. I'm assuming you meant he tried it with another random computer and the new gpu worked. Legacy mode wont do much for you anyways. did he put your old gpu back in and everythings ok?? lots to know that hasnt been addressed.

So the problem really isn't that the computer won't start but that it won't start with the new GPU in it, correct?

Did the technician try the new video card in another computer? Did you buy the card from the shop that currently has your computer or did you buy the video card and take it and the computer to the shop for installation of the card?

It the PC starts with your old gpu or the onboard video then clearly the problem is the new GPU.
Would make sure he has the right power plugs connected to it. 1070's could be single 8 pin, 6+8, or 8+8.
Definitely sounds like this tech is not all that good.

@S_I_N, first of all thanks for the reply, what i meant is that he tested another random GPU on MY computer, the one that doesnt start and it worked.

- - - Updated - - -

@trents, Correct, with the new GPU it doesnt start.

I bought the GPU from an online shop and i took it to a local technician for him to install it.

I will try to ask him if he could try the GPU on another PC.

- - - Updated - - -

@Daleon The reason i bought this GPU is because the old one doesnt work, i was playing a videogame and after 2h the screen went Black/Gray, immediatly turned the PC off and after 20 seconds i turned it ON again, everything worked except i had no Image, tried the DVI entrance and doesnt work either, only worked with the VGA (integrated gpu). So i assumed that the GPU went to s***. :-/

You had an AMD card and probably (?) were using Radeon drivers. You are trying to install an NVidia card so you'll need GeForce drivers. You first need to uninstall the Radeon drivers, reboot, then install the GeForce drivers. Try that. If your system still won't run, you could have a MB with not enough power phases to run everything.

It should still post even if it’s driver related and power phases are not an issue here. He’s going from a more power hungry card to a more efficient card.

@Robert17 I think the technician already tried that, deleted the radeon drivers and installed the geforce drivers.

Yeah could be the motherboard, im thinking on buying the MOTHERBOARD MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON SKT 1151 + CPU INTEL CORE I5 7500 3.4GHZ SKT 1151...im on a low budget so i cant afford an i7 atm..unfortunatly.:-/

- - - Updated - - -

In about an hour and a half i will call the technician to know the situation, if he is still having trouble with it i will just bring my pc home and buy a new mobo + cpu..cause i dont really know what to do at this point :(

Before buying anything new, you should get the PC back and troubleshout by yourself. Not that I don't trust technician, but...

We can guide you here on the process. No need to be an engineer! Since the early 2010's, things are made easy and you don't really need in depth knowledge, it is quite straightforward.

@Tír na nÓg Yeah i guess i will try that, perhaps take everything apart and start from scratch. The only problem is that i dont have an extra pc or more components to troubleshoot :-/ so i cant really know what might be faulty or not...

There is an integrated GPU in the 2500.

You don't need a discrete card to start the PC. If you reset the bios, it should default to the iGPU and you can plkug your monitor on the HDMI or VGA plug on the motherboard directly.

@Tír na nÓg Alrighty, half an hour from now i will call the technician and ask him what's the status on the PC, if he still cant get it to work, i will get my pc back home and start to troubleshoot.

- - - Updated - - -

@S_I_N I appreciate that anyways :)

Guys i got an update about this issue, i just came from the store, and the technician showed me with another GPU 1GB it works with the VGA but the HDMI doesnt work either...i have the computer here in my house and im about to test the DVI giving it a try to see if it will work.

I just noticed that he didnt uninstalled the AMD Software...

Last edited:
So, the "technician" installed the nVidia GPU without removing the AMD drivers?

As a matter of advice, go somewhere else next time, or do it yourself! ;)

Update: I just placed the new GPU in and what happens is:

The lights on the GPU come up but the fans dont spin and i get no image, everything else seems to work...

This gpu has a 6 pin and an 8 pin should i connect both?

Last edited:
Back