• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to recover data from corrupted WD external hardisk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajmehra300

Hi...

I have Western Digital Passport 1 TB external Hard disk. It has got corrupted. When I connect to my Window 7 machine, my external hard disk rotates but my machine does not recognize it.I have checked External hard disk with other working cable as well but still it is not working . I have tried to recover data with Hiren boot cd ,. On hiren boot machine it is recognizing the disk. I can copy some data in form of dd format with data rescue but not able to recover data with this DD format file. I have used different softwares to recover dd file but all are giving error. Please suggest how can i recover my data.

What's the exact model name #number of the WD drive?

Some have auto-loading software, auto-encryption, others are just vanilla external drives - which model it is can make a huge difference in the methods needed to recover data.

Hi mate, welcome to the overclockers forum!

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the drive and that you cannot access it, I know how unpleasant it can be. Since you've tried various programs and couldn't extract anything from it, then it will be best IMO to contact a data recovery company and see if your information can be retrieved from the external. Also, keep in mind that the more you use the drive and try to repair it, the worse the damage and the extraction of files may become.

Here's a link with the WD recovery partners you can take a look at if you want:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=jHyjG1

Hope this helps and best of luck!

What's the exact model name #number of the WD drive?

Some have auto-loading software, auto-encryption, others are just vanilla external drives - which model it is can make a huge difference in the methods needed to recover data.
WD my passport model no. is WDBBEP0010BBK

I have used active-undelete in the past when nothing else worked. They have freeware and trial but you'll have to pay to actually retrieve anything IIRC it was $20 for the standard version..

Hi Raj, it might be possible that your hard drive is damage. I would suggest you to use Check Disk Command to repair your hard disk.

Just follow below steps

Open CMD prompt and type chkdsk drive name: /F (type f to fix error)

If still facing problem, you can use test disk tool or any free recovery software like Rucava or Stellar Phoenix. Good Luck!!

Hi raj,
Did have this prob myself one time, turned out to be the actual caddy at fault, could be worth
purchacing a cheap caddy as I did and swapping the hard disk over.
Good luck.

It is possible that the electronics are faulty. Get the hard disk out and plug it in directly to your computer. The disk should be recognized. The same thing happened to me and this trick worked.

Haven't had to do it in a while but, when I did, isobuster always did a great job (although..be warned...recovery operations can take a-a-a-ges to complete).

Back