• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to wipe a ssd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ezcharlie

I have an m.2 nvme ssd.
it's connected to a pcie card.
i originally used it as a boot drive. the os got corrupted and kept crashing. tried repairing it but nothing worked.
i then realized that the drive reset to it's previous settings everytime i rebooted my pc.

what i've tried:
when it's running i can use it, modify contents, install stuff, delete stuff but as soon as i restart, everything reverts back to it's previous settings. currently the most recent change saved was around feb 2 2022.
tried to reset w/in windows and even using an OS boot drive, it starts the process but as soon as it restarts, everything is back to what it was.
tried to use diskpart to clean it, it says successfull then after restarting, everything's back.
tried to boot to a usb drive using ubuntu - the disk tools can't make changes to it.
tried a different pcie adapter - same problem.
connected to a different pc, same issue.

A simple format? From explorer right click format? It's not the boot drive, right? Is that what you said started, but stopped in the middle and reverted to previous settings? What does that mean exactly? I've never heard of a drive that does such a thing... so weird, lol.

Or try mini-tool portion wizard software to wipe out all of the partitions/format?

Wow... maybe the AIC has something to do with it?? The problem though is that you don't have a different system you can try just the drive in. Perhaps buy a cheap external m.2 case that connects via USB and see if that works?

Is you OS on this drive? I dont think you can obliterate your active OS?? Not sure though.... never tried.

Edit: I see you tried it in another pc... but was that without the AIC?

Maybe try a different program. Some others that should/may work are Micron SSD Management, SanDisk SSD Dashboard (only works on SanDisk and WD), Samsung Magician (only works on Samsung). I can't see what brand SSD you have so I can't recommend which one of these will work best.
Silicon Power
Post magically merged:

Wow... maybe the AIC has something to do with it?? The problem though is that you don't have a different system you can try just the drive in. Perhaps buy a cheap external m.2 case that connects via USB and see if that works?

Is you OS on this drive? I dont think you can obliterate your active OS?? Not sure though.... never tried.

Edit: I see you tried it in another pc... but was that without the AIC?
AIC?

I am currently using it as a secondary drive and even as a secondary drive, any changes i make to it reverts as soon as i restart my pc. saved files disappear, deleted files come back, installed SW disappear etc.

Just so I understand, previous settings also means that file changes revert as well? So that if you put a test.txt file on the root of the drive, when you reboot it's gone?

i've tried it w/ 2 different branded AICs. the other AIC is brand new. same issue.
I was thinking to get it off the AIC and PCIe in general...

At this point, I think the controller is failing or some weird security thing that won't allow that kind of activity on the drive. It's like it rebuilds the array (but it's a single drive not in RAID) or something. So weird...

I was thinking to get it off the AIC and PCIe in general...

At this point, I think the controller is failing or some weird security thing that won't allow that kind of activity on the drive. It's like it rebuilds the array (but it's a single drive not in RAID) or something. So weird...
it's a bit odd if 2 diff mobos and 2 diff AICs would have the exact same issue where only the ssd was the common denominator. if i'd have to spend money, might as well get a new ssd. was hoping that maybe there was a way to wipe the ssd using something like dos based sw. maybe create a specific bootdrive just to wipe it? is there a diag tool to fully test the drive?

Last edited:
Silicon Power has its own software, but there are others too. SP Toolbox features S.M.A.R.T., Wearout count, and a few other diagnostic tools. Unfortunately, its Secure Erase function is listed for their industrial drives only, whatever that means. Might be worth a try. It's a free download so nothing lost but time if it doesn't work.

it's a bit odd if 2 diff mobos and 2 diff AICs would have the exact same issue where only the ssd was the common denominator.
Agreed. But, you're running out of options to try, no?
if i'd have to spend money, might as well get a new ssd.
It's a $13 part, FTR, not $100 SSD. It would be easiest to not troubleshoot at all and buy another if you don't want to keep going or spend a pittance to test (not being a jerk here, but honest).

Like I said, at this point, I think the drive is done. I've never seen that behavior before....

Silicon Power has its own software, but there are others too. SP Toolbox features S.M.A.R.T., Wearout count, and a few other diagnostic tools. Unfortunately, its Secure Erase function is listed for their industrial drives only, whatever that means. Might be worth a try. It's a free download so nothing lost but time if it doesn't work.
Can't even download it from their site. Had to look for it elsewhere. good thing majorgeeks had it. tried it but the "erase" function does not even show up. i guess that's what "for industrial drives only" means :-( even tried checking their firmware updater sw but could not find anyting. the diags options passed completely.
Post magically merged:

Agreed. But, you're running out of options to try, no?

It's a $13 part, FTR, not $100 SSD. It would be easiest to not troubleshoot at all and buy another if you don't want to keep going or spend a pittance to test (not being a jerk here, but honest).

Like I said, at this point, I think the drive is done. I've never seen that behavior before....
sad but true :-(
unfortunately, being in a 3rd world country, the enclosure costs around 1/3rd the price of a new 500gb drive. (which is why i'd rather spend that on a new drive, but who knows, a cheap option might appear close by suddenly)
my last option is to look for a way to update it's firmware. trying to contact silicon power but i doubt i'd get a decent response.
might just have to get a new drive.

Last edited:
Back