• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 850 Pro 256 GiB: how to run surface test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I want to a sector-by-sector scan of a Samsung 850 Pro 256 GiB SSD because it's my OS drive.

Samsung's Magician software states I can't run the diagnostic scan because "the selected drive does not support this feature."

I've been running the SMART extended test through speedfan but it's been running for more than 12 hrs. now so I'm guessing it doesn't work.

Is there anyway to scan this SSD? Does Samsung provide a bootable scan test?

Not sure of anything bootable. If the drive does't support it, making the functionality bootable doesn't make it support the software feature (or it would say as much...). The 980 Pro supports it and the "Full Scan" is what you're looking for I'd imagine (scan detects and corrects read errors on each LBA).

That said, not sure how to scan it offhand. Are you having problems? Does the SMART data tell you anything (in any HDD software)?

The Samsung 850 Pro 256 GiB isn't giving me any problems and doesn't have any alarming SMART statistics. Chkdsk did come back w/errors that required a reboot to fix.

It used to be all HDD's had in-built functions called short and extended tests. I was hoping SSD's had something similar.

I use https://hddscan.com/ and if you use it to "read" (not "verify") the disk it basically reads the whole surface to the system, like normal software would. It reports how long it took to do each read. If you get abnormally long read times for some blocks they could be going bad, but also it is possible the system was busy with something else causing the spike. Repeat runs may be an idea depending on what you are looking for.

Back