• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They'll Change their ways once the see the hit in their piggy bank. Obviously this will have an adverse sales effect for the public sector...

So I have an old win7 laptop that died about 2 years ago, do you guys think I can use that on a new pc im building, and then keep that or upgrade to win10?(which fron what I read is iffy but I am getting skylake)
It was an hp laptop and irrc sometimes they are locked windows

No, most of the bugs haven't been worked out in Win10. Micro****ty doesn't even beta test, they have the developers do a short wave of alpha testing to deem the software "functional" and then put it out there. They treat their updates much in the same respect. What's really atrocious is that the updates - designed to support and improve the OS - can end up breaking your installation depending up what third party programs you have as I found out the hard way. Hell, even windows defender with its real time protection can conflict with an update. It goes to show how little the company cares about the end user or the compatibility of their OS with their own damn products.

EarthDog, sounds like you are using an OEM key tied to one specific motherboard. Weird the key although inactivated would still allow functional use of the OS.
Lol at the first paragraph...yikes.

It's not an OEM key. I just cant personalize the OS... that is all.

Unless you are bored and have nothing to do right now, your 'free' upgrade options are open until late July. By then it should be a much more polished OS. I've still got a running fast ring insiders evaluation at v14295 now. They are constantly updating almost daily. I'm sure by next July it will be polished enough for even real picky people like me to update. Even if you update right now, those new updates will be in the normal updating process.

I'm waiting until July so I'll be able to tweak its phone home permissions to my liking and get the best possible start. I still love win7 and hate to see it go, but it will be EOL in 4 years vs 10 years for winten. Then there are the new hardware support restrictions artificially imposed by Microsoft for win7/8 :mad:

I might go full Linux and just use windows in VMs for those windows only apps I want or need to keep. I'm not a gamer so windows isn't an absolute necessity. I'll have to try running Photoshop in a windows VM and see how well it works.

Well, still happy with 7! No forced upgrade and I do not believe that would ever happen. Liability.

This is what happened in Japan just this morning, good luck to Japanese holding Microsoft liable ;)

Win10PopUpJapan.png

So I have an old win7 laptop that died about 2 years ago, do you guys think I can use that on a new pc im building, and then keep that or upgrade to win10?(which fron what I read is iffy but I am getting skylake)
It was an hp laptop and irrc sometimes they are locked windows

You can contact Microsoft (use the phone number) and tell them that your old motherboard died, and you had to replace the motherboard.

They will transfer the license one time for you for free.

I have done this with OEM licenses from eMachines, Toshiba, and Dell.

You can contact Microsoft (use the phone number) and tell them that your old motherboard died, and you had to replace the motherboard.

They will transfer the license one time for you for free.

I have done this with OEM licenses from eMachines, Toshiba, and Dell.

That's what I did , except I told them I had to replace the CPU , which required a mobo (Phenom to FX) , which necessitated DDR3 from DDR2. Did it with an automated phone call. After all that was straightened out I cloned the OS to the new hard drive. :)

Yea I saw the article and I don't see this going over well in IT. We're on Win7 and if anything this is going to make the final push to move to IOS for client devices and Linux for the servers. Nothing good can come of this....

As long as you are running Win7 Enterprise it is a non-issue.

Also, please don't consider trying to make OSX/Mac an enterprise OS, it really really doesn't work well unless you are going to put forth a TON of effort and using the software back end to do it. Otherwise it is truly an awful admin experience.

I'm guessing this is more directed at home users.

Z

I was reading on y combinator that windows 10 will eventually be REQUIRED in order to use skylake's full cpu capabilities. I can understand optimizing components to software, but telling me that it won't work at all unless ms has their way is like telling me to get down and lick their boots and be happy for it. FU ms and skylake can straight go f itself as well!! Once I'm finished with 7 it's linux all the way.

Just had some DTV engineers at our office doing some equipment installs and they all had Ubuntu laptops made by Lenovo (looked like Skylake Core Ms). I'm guessing this is probably my last Windows lease roll if that's what they've got. Also our new HP blades being put in to replace our old Sun servers are Redhat not Windows Server so it looks like the last of our Microsoft equipment goes dark come May.

Last edited:
Win10UpdX.png

The article continues:

"The BBC was told: "We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade."

Which isn't even grammatically correct. Ugh.
"

[...]

"But Microsoft still hasn't completely made things "transparent", a word it has used repeatedly during its dealings with us. There's no option that says 'I don't want Windows 10. I never want Windows 10. Unless I change my mind, leave me a-f@$%ing-lone, you're not my real mum'.

We're not saying Microsoft's behaviour is inexplicable. It's completely explicable. The firm is desperate for people to upgrade. It is still so entrenched in its own cult-like internal belief that it acts in everyone's best interests and, most of all (and we can't stress this enough), it thinks people are stupid and that it can get away with this sort of thing.
"

In the IT world we've been waiting for the first multi-billion class action suit to be announced. What they're doing extends beyond ethics. It's illegal.

Back