• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guys, just give up.

I gave up and I have been assimilated by microsoft.

I don't feel fear or shame or happyness or hate nor love.
I stopped feeling.

it's better this way.

And remember, you all will be assimilated one day!

Guys, just give up.

I stopped feeling.

it's better this way.

Insert borg joke here :borg:

I will be converting my Windows 8 Pro license to Windows 10 next month too but much like Picard reverted back from the Borg, I plan on reverting right back to Windows 8.
Classic Shell removes 100% of problems Windows 8 has, Windows 8 license will last until 2023 [instead of 2025 Windows 10 gives me] but maybe instead of spending those last two years on Windows 10, something else will come out by then?

With fully customizable Start Menu through Classic Shell, Windows 8 has no nags, ability to delete $DATA hidden alternate streams, and gives me me full control over what I install - I just do not see what it is I am gaining under Windows 10? If I am gaining anything, it can't be justified by all that sleaze of watching my Windows 10 running constant scans of every file on my system?

But seriously, I am open minded, can we have a list of three major things we are gaining through Windows 10? 2023-2025 support just means we have seven years before that benefit kicks in.
Dual booting Windows 8/10 would allow using DirectX 12 on rare occasion through a simple reboot for most of us.

SUPPOSEDLY faster, lighter on resources, Edge, M$ shop, DX12... That's about it really... IMO it really comes down to DX12, because the list of bad is longer/worse then the good :(

But seriously, I am open minded, can we have a list of three major things we are gaining through Windows 10? 2023-2025 support just means we have seven years before that benefit kicks in.

Sounds like a great idea for a new discussion/thrad. ;)

Sounds like a great idea for a new discussion/thrad. ;)

Yikes. It's happened a few times around here. Seems to lead to virtual fisticuffs most of the time. They start off civil but eventually degrade to one side shouting "Tinfoil hats!" while the other side yells "Anti-American data miners!". ED has had days where he was jumping in multiple W10 threads like a rodeo clown working 3 venues at once trying to divert the bulls. This is a really well behaved forum, buy Windows 10 inspires some strong opinions. The entertainment value is high, but it gives the mods a workout. I'll get the popcorn. :)

Well there's an easy solution. We have covered the negative.
What about just the positive?

I guess Kenrou started:

SUPPOSEDLY faster, lighter on resources, Edge, M$ shop, DX12... That's about it really... IMO it really comes down to DX12, because the list of bad is longer/worse then the good :(

I have a multi boot with all Microsoft OS with identical programs installed on all.
Yes there is an increase in speed when I boot into Windows 8 vs. Windows 7/XP/Vista. I have to report that Windows 10 just maintains that, so there would be a (small) jump from Windows 7 but I could not feel it when comparing 10 to 8.

DirectX 12 yes, it appears that is the main benefit of Windows 10.

Could someone think of something positive about Edge when compared to IE/Firefox/Chrome? And what they bought at M$ shop they personally enjoyed?

Yikes. It's happened a few times around here. Seems to lead to virtual fisticuffs most of the time. They start off civil but eventually degrade to one side shouting "Tinfoil hats!" while the other side yells "Anti-American data miners!". ED has had days where he was jumping in multiple W10 threads like a rodeo clown working 3 venues at once trying to divert the bulls. This is a really well behaved forum, buy Windows 10 inspires some strong opinions. The entertainment value is high, but it gives the mods a workout. I'll get the popcorn. :)

I've been absent for a while. It sounds like I missed out on all the fun.

...We have covered the negative...

Could someone think of something positive about Edge when compared to IE/Firefox/Chrome? And what they bought at M$ shop they personally enjoyed?

That's a rhetorical question, right? :p

10 boots a few seconds faster on my system than 8/8.1 did.

Positive about Edge: God damn I really ****ing hate Edge. It steals association from my PDF reader, my XML editor, my HTML editor, my photo viewer, and URLs. But I can rename \windows\systemapps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe to FSCKOFF_Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe, create a new empty file Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe, change the permissions on that file to DENY ALL for "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and "SYSTEM" so Windows Update can't replace it, and goodbye Edge! YAY! Did the same thing to Cortana, too.

Honestly ? no. It's Internet Explorer Light :shrug: it does the job decently but the lack of customization and decent addon support hurts a lot :(

I didn't think one of us would have anything positive to say about either Edge or the store so we are left with DirectX 12.

For what it's worth, since I have *identical* Windows 8 and 10 setups on the same SSD (different partitions) - I timed the boots just now to also be identical between them.
I will repeat the experiment next month on a brand new motherboard, and although it is fairly indisputable that Windows 8 and 10 have a second or three gain over Windows 7... I still cannot replicate the increase of boot speed that 10 allegedly brings over 8, I have doubts that it can be replicated under identical circumstances.

So in conclusion, 1 year after Windows 10 launch, the only actually useful good thing we have a consensus on as the advantage of Windows 10 is DirectX 12.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Dell 23" LCD UltraSharp U2312HM
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair RM850 850W

Well there's an easy solution. We have covered the negative.

This is what I mean by a civil, well behaved forum. LOL OC has had the best discussions with people really trying to debate just facts. I love this place. So, in the spirit of the conversation, Windows 10 offers me a lighter and smaller package than 7. No Media Player, and no Media Center. When I need an OS to do less, I'll reach for W 10. :rofl:

In all seriousness, DirectX 12 could end up being a big plus eventually, even though game developers seem to be a little slow to pile on at the moment. Faster boot times have been mentioned. And now it seems W 10 will help users upgrade equipment, as M$ has said older gear won't be supported by the new OS. So if you've been putting off dropping several hundred dollars on a new rig M$ will give you that motivation. There are advantages to a widely adopted platform. Driver support, fewer versions of programs, and it has to be easier to secure a single platform. On that subject, does anybody know why a 32 bit system is even offered? Any gear too old to run 64 bit isn't even supported, so I don't understand the reasoning behind keeping the 32 bit around.

Guys, just give up.

I stopped feeling.

it's better this way.

I had to bring this one back.
BillGatusOfBorg.gif

edit: Resistance really isn't futile, it's volts divided by amperes. :)

Last edited:
The benefits of the store at this point is that is where Microsoft will be releasing their new games. Such as Forza, gears of war, the new halo, etc. So people on pc will be able to play games that were for the most part xbox exclusives.

There's also the Xbox app that allows for streaming from your Xbox one to your pc that works decently well.

That shows some real effort towards giving W10 the edge in gaming. Combined with DX 12 it would seem to be W10 FTW. I honestly haven't looked very hard for the advantages of the new OS, so I'm very interested in the turn this thread has taken. When/if I scrape together the cash for another build I can see real reasons to go with 10. I can always keep my current rig as is to keep the stuff I need that isn't available in 10.

Problem with W10 was always privacy and auto-updates, on its own i think its a good OS, or at least on par with W8.1 :shrug:

The interesting thing is that Windows 10 is actually completely free. You dont need a CD key to install it, nor to use it. It has a message asking you activate windows, but that is it and there is an easy workaround for that too.

This is one of the more interesting posts in the thread, but I sense that discussion of such is gnereally verboten.

We'll see what happens with that after Windows 10 is no longer a free upgrade next month.

Back