• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh god, Microsoft is going to buy Linkedin.

I can already see it "Hey Zantal, upgrade to windows 10 today to increase your chances of finding the right job for you!"

Last edited:
Oh god, Microsoft is going to buy Linkedin.

I can already see it "Hey Zantal, upgrade to windows 10 today to increase your chances of find the right job for you!"

More like "Hey Zantal, we have used Windows 10, along with our ownership of LinkedIn, to notify all prospective employers of the contents of your PC and your off hour activities"

More like "Hey Zantal, we have used Windows 10, along with our ownership of LinkedIn, to log the contents of your PC and your off hour activities. For a nominal fee we would like to secure this information in our new OneVault product so you never have to worry about this falling into the wrong hands or the hands of, say, a prospective employer. As a OneVault subscriber you will be given a Plus Premium LinkedIn profile that will alert all your professional contacts that you aren't a scumbag. We don't see any reason you wouldn't accept this great offer and have deducted the first month's subscription cost of $49.95 from your Microsoft Online registered credit card. If not completely satisfied you can try to sue us. By reading this message you have consented to joining this program. Welcome aboard!"

;)

Last edited:
Yet another GWX option. Use the debugger to bugger it with a command prompt. :)

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\gwx.exe"
/v Debugger
/t REG_SZ
/d "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c exit 0"

most of my work applications in the financial industry wont run on win 10. what are we supposed to do?

Microsoft answers that on the Windows 10 upgrade screen: it's "easy" to go back...

And if you do go back to Windows 8, you are officially good until at least 2023.

I just experimented on a Windows 8 laptop which came to me with this partition table: one hidden system partition and one main large C: drive partition. No other partitions.
Updating to 10 totally installs a third new hidden partition for Windows 10 use...
And drive imaging just the main C: drive partition is not enough.

BEFORE Windows 10 upgrade, be sure to image the hidden small system partition too, if you want to image your way back.

But there is an actual Windows 10 option that reverts you back to Windows 7/8, but only if you opt to go back in the first 30 days after "upgrading" to Windows 10.

FYI, many things which are not officially supported on Windows 10 -- still so install and work fine on Windows 10. Many, but not all.

I would be interested to hear the particulars of the case. I (for half a second) considered filing a suit over the forced upgrade of my older hardware, but did not have alot of confidence in the results. I can see how the lawsuit in the link was based on loss of business, but how is the average consumer to quantify damages? Or the sheer horror at having someone take control of your machine from you? Personally I wonder if such suits wouldn't be best filed under whatever malware laws are in place? I assume that M$ would have a decent legal team to prevent such things of course.

How is this not precedent-setting and grounds for a flood of lawsuits over forced upgrades, how is this plaintiff alone in this?
Can you imagine the sheer number of businesses in almost identical situation as the plaintiff? The decision one way or another is less surprising than the fact that we really are not hearing a lot about massive class action law suits either here or in Europe...

It is absolutely precedent setting. You will see many many more now. Nobody wanted to be first.

To address this thread's topic: NO.

There is less than a month to go before Windows 10 becomes a bona fide paid-for product and at 19.14 percent, it is still below the psychological 20 percent market share barrier... So if it's at 19% when it's free, how will it go up significantly when it costs money?

To address this thread's topic: NO.

There is less than a month to go before Windows 10 becomes a bona fide paid-for product and at 19.14 percent, it is still below the psychological 20 percent market share barrier... So if it's at 19% when it's free, how will it go up significantly when it costs money?

Despite the hysteria, most people weren't "forced" to upgrade, and for most of the clueless bot net victims force is the only possible motivator. Regardless, people have never stopped buying new computers, and eventually they'll be "upgraded" that way.

EDIT: Apparently, despite promises to the contrary, retail Win8 licenses upgraded to Windows 10 become OEM licenses, and cannot be re-activated after significant hardware changes (i.e. motherboard+CPU swap). Called in expecting the normal approval like I had for previous hardware changes on retail XP and 7 licenses, and was told to buy new license. Will see how long the "you need to activate Windows" will go without hindering me using my computer. Would hate to have to resort to frowned-upon methods if Microsoft insists on being uncooperative.

Last edited:
Back