• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guys, just give up.

I gave up and I have been assimilated by microsoft.

I don't feel fear or shame or happyness or hate nor love.
I stopped feeling.

it's better this way.

And remember, you all will be assimilated one day!

No.

I have several Linux distros and I ain't afraid to use 'em.

okay.
Windows Media Center came with Windows 7 but it it did not come with Windows 8.
People paid for Windows 8 retail, like I did, and then people paid again to get Windows Media Center installed on Windows 8 (even Pro retail).

So now they have to give up a thing they paid for because after taking their money, Microsoft says it doesn't want to spend resources supporting it after they switch to 10 "for free" and lose Windows Media Center they paid for.
But what additional resources are they spending if the thing works in 8 just like it would on 10 if they didn't actively prevent us from using it on 10.

Heck, they spent resources to actively prevent us from using it on 10! There was a directive and man hours were spent to make sure people can't use WMC on 10,
They would spend no resources to simply let it work on 10 *just like* it works on 8.
We are not talking about Windows 9x/2000 compatibility here - 8 and 10 are essentially the same for programs like Windows Media Center.

^This. Resources were already expended, rather than simply include already developed software. They included Internet Explorer fer cryin' out loud. Given IE's reputation, and the number of people who don't use it, that was a far more specious bit of code to include than Media Center. It makes no sense at the moment. I fully expect a pay to play version after July 29th. Otherwise, I have to believe they're stupid.

^This. Resources were already expended, rather than simply include already developed software. They included Internet Explorer fer cryin' out loud. Given IE's reputation, and the number of people who don't use it, that was a far more specious bit of code to include than Media Center. It makes no sense at the moment. I fully expect a pay to play version after July 29th. Otherwise, I have to believe they're stupid.

The Windows Media Center cost $10 for Windows 8.
Their reasoning for actively preventing its use on Windows 10 (aside from not including it in Windows 10 - spending resources to actively prevent WMC's use on Windows 10) do not include simply trying to get $10 or other amount from Windows 10 users....

Their reasoning is we don't want you using your PC to DVR TV shows, period.

They want us doing this through Xbox and other means. It is a matter of open speculation on why Microsoft doesn't want us DVRing TV shows on our PCs.

So speculating:
• They want us to buy an XBOX. No WMC, more pople would buy XBOX.
• You can't manipulate video files easily on XBOX.
• They want us to pay a monthly fee to watch TV and for DVR service and Windows Media Center cannot be a conduit for that business plan.
• Is Microsoft like Congress where there's a TV cable company lobby who successfully "lobbied" Microsoft to gut WMC out of Windows so people would be forced to buy DVR boxes from TV cable companies and pay a hefty monthly fee ON TOP of the fees they pay for their TV service?

But by talking about this, let's not forget the big picture which is that they were dishonest about why they removed WMC from Windows.
I mean to go out of their way to prevent, to block people from using WMC on Windows 10, is direct proof that more things are afoot then what they said, which was: "oh, people are not interested in WMC, so we just won't include it because "people don't want it". People don't care about WMC so we don't care either..." That is what Microsoft said in essence.

People don't care huh? But Microsoft went about figuring ways to successfully block ANY usage of WMC on Windows 10, I mean Microsoft can't stop illegal use of their Office or their Windows itself, but somehow when it comes to Windows Media Center, they spared no effort and were successful in making sure customers who PAID FOR WMC on Windows 8 cannot use it on Windows 10 which is a "free" upgrade from Windows 8 at this time still...

Last edited:
DRM? M$ has been at the forefront of that battle for a long time (as mercenaries, no less). MC will burn any thing I record to DVD. And all my TV is over the air. Free content I can copy at my leisure. I'm not sure why anyone would want a 480p ccopy of Big Bang Theory reruns with commercials, but greed frequently goes head to head with common sense. LOL

It's a good idea to secure a free Windows 10 license, even if you want to revert to Windows 7/8 straight away.

After that there are many tools to help, like
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
and
http://win10wiwi.com/

View attachment 177553

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...anish-microsofts-unwanted-windows-10-advances

I thought this was overkill and unnecessary. I was wrong. I got the pop up on my laptop today and clicked the X, then went about my business. 15 min later the upgrade began. I have a backup, so am not worried, but I am still at a loss as to how this is considered appropriate by any company to do. Thanks for the headsup with the links

Was always curious about what actually happens with this in real life... so:

When you say "begun"... is there a way to interrupt/cancel the process, in other words, by "begun" do you mean you see some sort of a "Welcome to Windows 10 upgrade" with a "Click Next to continue" option...

or

when you say "begun"

The act of you clicking on X started the process of hosing your Windows 7/8 installation with no opportunity for you to interrupt/cancel it?

Was always curious about what actually happens with this in real life... so:

When you say "begun"... is there a way to interrupt/cancel the process, in other words, by "begun" do you mean you see some sort of a "Welcome to Windows 10 upgrade" with a "Click Next to continue" option...

or

when you say "begun"

The act of you clicking on X started the process of hosing your Windows 7/8 installation with no opportunity for you to interrupt/cancel it?

There was a popup that said my Upgrade would begin in 15 min, with a small link to reschedule, and a larger box to "Start now" or something close to that. I simply clicked on the close box in the top right corner (The X) and went about my web searches. Roughly 15min later my screen stuttered and then I was in the familiar Windows Upgrade screen - the one that says "please do not power off or unplug your machine". It did specify that I was getting Windows 10 and not just some other update

To me, the offense is twofold: 1) what jack-assery to force the upgrade like that. Windows 7 wasnt cheap and I intend to use it longer. I guess I thought that was my choice or something
2) I was under the impression that I had cancelled the upgrade and was luckily only searching the web when I was rudely interrupted. Not with a 5 min warning, but with an all out unprompted shutdown and then "do not disturb" message? I truest and beleive in that message. Ibe ignored that with other devices and ruined them. When my PC says not to shut it down or pull the plug, I pray there isnt a brown out, because I take that seriously. So this to me was in EVERY way a FORCED upgrade. Booooo Microsoft. Booo I say

That is horrifying. Thanks for describing the real-life process.
What if you were doing a big project for work with a tight deadline or something important...

It's interesting in our world of litigious people that no one has sued yet.

It's interesting in our world of litigious people that no one has sued yet.

We don't know what's in the works, what M$ has sealed with non-disclosure orders from courts, or outright paid people off. I still suspect there's a big class action suit on the horizon, and it very well could end Microsoft as we know it [thinking the public outcry resulting in protest purchases of other non-Windows products].

This entire strategy is the WORSE imposition in the history of computing. They're simply not going to survive their own arrogance. It's really *that* big of a deal.

That lawsuit would be like a Wily Coyote and Roadrunner short. It shouldn't be, but I don't see any way for that suit to be undertaken in a serious manner.

What will have to precede such a suit is some form of "Digital Bill of Rights". As online/digital activity becomes ore ubiquitous, we really must find a way for our real world rights to matter in the ethereal realm of the Internet. Online used to be only for business use or for technophiles, but that is no longer the case. More and more of the general population - whom has no idea that it is wrong to be treated this way- are being pushed/pulled into a digital frontier with no concept of what rights may mean, or where to turn in case of violations. Microsoft is entirely capitalizing on that sense of ignorance, and shouldn't be.

I apologize if that got a bit "wordy" or wasn't cogent, but I get kind of fired up when the small grain of trust that i tried to have for Microsoft is undermined by such actions. I have been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt whilst honing my Linux skills, and hoping I would think have to switch entirely to one of the various distros out there. I would still like to be able to use Windows, but there will have to be quite a compelling reason for me to ignore transgressions like ignoring basic consumer rights in a quasi-criminal way. Unfortunately I think the general population that I spoke of previously will allow M$ to continue eroding consumer rights as well as our collective right to privacy. Boo Microsoft. Boo I say

To go to such extraordinary lengths implies that there is a reason for Microsoft wanting everyone to stop using Windows 7 and 8.
Here me out. They will be making patches for Windows 8 until 2023 if there are a million or a hundred million Windows 7/8 users, regardless.

So has anyone in any article outlined why Microsoft wants people to stop using Windows 7/8... beyond the old 'everyone on the same platform' explanation?
Just how else is it exactly more advantageous for Microsoft to have an extra million people on Windows 10 instead of Windows 8?

Simple: getting people to use the Windows store = more money for them.

There are registry hacks to prevent the winten update. I found it here on OCF, but I don't remember where. We have 3 win7 desktop installations and no one has been nagged 'they must upgrade' since.

We post those in every thread, but vast majority of people don't have them installed ;)

Simple: getting people to use the Windows store = more money for them.
Not sure I follow, how is Windows 10 store different from Windows 8 store and installing just the store over Windows Update would accomplish that goal in any case with FAR less headaches for everyone including Microsoft.

We post those in every thread, but vast majority of people don't have them installed ;)

Not sure I follow, how is Windows 10 store different from Windows 8 store and installing just the store over Windows Update would accomplish that goal in any case with FAR less headaches for everyone including Microsoft.

As far as I know universal apps only work on the windows 10 platform (across phones, pc, xbox [eventually], etc). The app store is separate between win8(.1) and win10 for that reason. I don't know if Win8(.1) has universal app support (I'm almost certain it does not), and I imagine it is easier for Microsoft to not have to deal with adding the functionality to Win8 and instead have it be accessible to only people on Windows 10 platform.

Back