• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm going to make an image file of my HDD, download and install 10, then make an image file of that and save it. Finally, I'll replace the 10 install with the previous 7 image. I don't know if I'll be able to use the 10 image on another build, but it can't hurt to try.

I feel rushed myself to build a new system just to transfer my retail Win8 license to it.
Given the aggressiveness with which MS is pushing people to 10, would it really be a surprise if Microsoft "extended" the free offer one more month? I can't take any chances though. As things stand I still see myself using Windows 8 until 2023 and rebooting into Win10 for DirectX 12.

A friend wants to keep his retail copy of win7 on his old computer to play the games winten breaks. He's building a new system and bought a retail copy of winten pro to install on it.

I have 8 win7 Pro COA with 3 to spare. I might just keep some win7 and convert a few to winten.

Last edited:
Audio, if you chose to convert all to Win10, that does not invalidate your Win7 license for use of Win7 on the same system.
Technically you are only supposed to use one or the other OS but if you install both on two separate partitions... on the same system... rebooting from one to another is possible.

I intend to do exactly that with Windows 8 and would give up Windows 10 if they make me choose.
Ironically, mostly because of Windows Media Center which functions perfectly as a DVR on my Windows 8 retail but does not work at all, on Windows 10 because Microsoft is purposely blocking guide downloads to Windows 10 even after we figure out how to install Windows Media Center on Windows 10 (!).

I don't want to use the Windows Media Center to watch or play anything, just to record stuff since there is no better DVR or any DVR software I can get to work on Windows 10.

Last edited:
Lack of Media Center seems to be a significant issue for a few people. I have to wonder if it will be sold in the M$ store after July 29? Going out of their way to prevent people from finding a work around makes me think they have their own plans for it.

I have conclusive proof that they are going out of their way due to my identical setups.
My Windows 8 retail allows Windows Media Center to download TV listings.
I reboot into Windows 10, on the same exact system, same internet connection, and Windows Media Center does display the signal but not only can you not download the listings because you are using Windows 10 - you cannot even manually record!!!

This is 100% willful going out of their way to make SURE you don't use the DVR function, that you don't record TV.
Their plans are tied to forcing you to buy XBOX or use other means to watch TV on demand...

But that's okay, those of us who use our computers to dual connect to both computer monitors and our big screen Plasma TVs just won't use Windows 10 as the main OS.

Last edited:
I wonder what streaming services they have their financial fingers in? Or if it's just hardware they intend to get the money from?

edit:
But that's okay, those of us who use our computers to dual connect to both computer monitors and our big screen Plasma TVs just won't use Windows 10 as the main OS.

That's been my position all along. I don't even want 10 at all. The only reason I'm even marginally interested in it is a build for someone else.

X-Box.
I do not know what others but it is more than obvious that they are preventing us from using our computers as DVRs on purpose.
No DVR software I tried ended up working under Windows 10. Zero.
Simply rebooted into XP/Vista/7/8 and they work.

X-Box.
I do not know what others but it is more than obvious that they are preventing us from using our computers as DVRs on purpose.
Simply rebooted into XP/Vista/7/8 and they work.

I'll check Hauppauge for software for W10 for their tuner cards. A replacement for my disc was going to be $9.95 for mine, but Media Center works just fine.

edt: OK, their website states their software works on XP through 10. I would till need to replace my original CD to use the card in 10, though. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1600.html

Interesting, because I have two screens a GPU that all worked with HDCP for watching stuff from Netflix and Amazon and Bluray discs just fine on 7, 8, and 8.1, but in 10, everything says I'm not "HDCP compliant".

I should have originally clarified that by DVRing I meant seeing a TV guide where you can click on a show you want to record.
Displaying the picture is okay. There are ways to install Windows media center under Windows 10 and it _can_ display the picture but no TV guide.

We don't want the media center for watching stuff, plenty of freeware is better. We want it to use it as a real DVR, and I can't think of a better solution under Windows 8 for that than Microsoft Windows Media Center.

Last edited:
Yea, for anyone else reading this, we talked about this last year here
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/766234
That thread details how you can install Windows Media Center on Windows 10 - but what's the point with no recording features...

And if that is important to you, then what's the point of Windows 10 itself, when Windows Media Center both fully works under Windows 7/8 and will continue to be supported until 2023, which makes a mockery of Microsoft's official explanation how they didn't want to "spend resources" supporting this software any more...
wut? :confused:
You are already "spending resources" supporting exact same software for everyone not on Windows 10 (!!), so that explanation made no sense to me when they said it.

Yea, for anyone else reading this, we talked about this last year here
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/766234
That thread details how you can install Windows Media Center on Windows 10 - but what's the point with no recording features...

And if that is important to you, then what's the point of Windows 10 itself, when Windows Media Center both fully works under Windows 7/8 and will continue to be supported until 2023, which makes a mockery of Microsoft's official explanation how they didn't want to "spend resources" supporting this software any more...
wut? :confused:
You are already "spending resources" supporting exact same software for everyone not on Windows 10 (!!), so that explanation made no sense to me when they said it.

It makes plenty of sense. The software is there on the previous versions, and it works. They have no obligation to add new features to it, so as long as they don't actively break it, they are NOT spending any resources supporting it.

okay.
Windows Media Center came with Windows 7 but it it did not come with Windows 8.
People paid for Windows 8 retail, like I did, and then people paid again to get Windows Media Center installed on Windows 8 (even Pro retail).

So now they have to give up a thing they paid for because after taking their money, Microsoft says it doesn't want to spend resources supporting it after they switch to 10 "for free" and lose Windows Media Center they paid for.
But what additional resources are they spending if the thing works in 8 just like it would on 10 if they didn't actively prevent us from using it on 10.

Heck, they spent resources to actively prevent us from using it on 10! There was a directive and man hours were spent to make sure people can't use WMC on 10,
They would spend no resources to simply let it work on 10 *just like* it works on 8.
We are not talking about Windows 9x/2000 compatibility here - 8 and 10 are essentially the same for programs like Windows Media Center.

Back