• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 to become mandatory for all users soon....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are Windows updates you can/should uninstall or not install in 7/8 that prevents the whole problem with no need for third party software. Uninstall the specific updates, then hide them. Problem solved. After that never install an update without reading what it does. (But you do that anyway because it's smart, right?)

Yes. Words of wisdom ↑. I did that ever since Windows 98 FUBARed my four day effort to install it just like I like it and on top of that I image my OS partition before getting anywhere NEAR Microsoft Windows Update, especially since, for those of you who do not have Windows 10 yet:

Windows 10 BEGINS INSTALLING EVERYTHING - e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. (!) the moment you simply check for updates, even after you turn automatic Windows Updates OFF.

Janus67, maybe people do buy stuff from Microsoft App store, but it just seems excessive for that to be the reason. App store doesn't cut it.
I am thinking data collection is some sort of a money maker that transcends everything, or maybe their ability to install everything as pointed above.
You get to select what you want in the process Alaric described above if you are using Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
You don't get to do that under Windows 10 so Microsoft can install ANYTHING IT WANTS on Windows 10 the moment you check for Windows updates even if you don't intend to install any updates.

Well those things as well of course, it has basically free reign to install what it feels like should be on your machine unless you're in an enterprise environment with a patching solution in place. My point was what would get them additional money that would be obvious, and it is the windows store (that isn't available on 7) and the increase titles/available applications that are only available to win10 customers. It is beneficial to Microsoft to have that locked down to promote people to utilize their store so that they can buy/play the windows store exclusive games, for example, such as quantum break, gears of war, forza apex, likely the new halo, etc.

From the Microsoft Store, on the software page here https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...egoryID.70036700?=en_US_Store_UH_software_Win

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates.

That last sentence would concern me. "Additional requirements may apply over time for updates." And perhaps be the first step on the path to enlightenment as to the motives c627627 mentions.

I look at that as normal loophole/legal speak allowing them to make changes at any time. Just like most EULAs/etc where they say 'things can change at any time without notice' etc that you agree with. Not that I agree with all of it, but that's my guess.

Yes, I mean there's no news articles or any talk about anything serious.

...it very well could end Microsoft as we know it...
Other then common sense, is there anything else to go on that points to anyone suing?

The thing about that, over in Europe they made them take out bundled Internet Explorer and they made them do a few things we weren't able to make them do here and they paid fines over there, etc.
Why is there no investigation over there over forced upgrades because that is what they are. If there is no chance to cancel (moreover if they reprogrammed the Cancel X button to mean YES) then that is a forced upgrade...

It appears it's just people like us talking and next month this whole thing will be over when the "free" upgrade ends...
Who wants to bet they'll extend or otherwise offer a second (last) chance to upgrade to TEN for "free". :)

Who wants to bet they'll extend or otherwise offer a second (last) chance to upgrade to TEN for "free". :)

I don't see why they would do that? I'm not saying they won't, but I don't see what purpose it would serve.?

I think it is a bit more likely that there will be mass forced updates (even more forcefully that mine was) and then when enough folks say WTF, there will be a huge explanation about how how reverting is possible so they really didn't force anything, or some such BS...

I don't think they'll do it which is why I am starting to look into a building a new system just to beat the deadline but here's my line of thinking:

If they are willing to do things described by you earlier in the thread, that means they want people off of Windows 7/8 so badly, that they are willing to do things which were considered unthinkable until now. So once that is done, the scare tactic #2 will be, you missed your deadline, but out of the goodness of our hearts we will give you *one last chance* to upgrade for free.

They want people on the Windows 10 train more than they want to charge people for Windows 10. That much is clear.
So since we are a nation of procrastinators... that's the line of thinking about the possible reason why they might give an extension... We will see soon.

There are Windows updates you can/should uninstall or not install in 7/8 that prevents the whole problem with no need for third party software. Uninstall the specific updates, then hide them. Problem solved. After that never install an update without reading what it does. (But you do that anyway because it's smart, right?)

We discussed this a few pages back and this is not true. M$ is now slipping the GWX nag (the thing that shows up lower right near the time) into *Critical IE Security Patches*. These get pushed down with other critical updates, and really shouldn't be skipped. I've found the easier solution is to use GWX Control Panel and have it run in monitor mode, so I can promptly disable the nag when/if it gets loaded. M$ has continually moved the goal post on this and will continue to do so (until legally told they cannot/forced into behaving differently). I find it better to be proactive than reactive, and that now requires having a third party app [or skipping Windows Updates altogher, which is not advisable and not a reality for some]. I know it's inconveient, but this has been discussed at length already in this thread. Go back through it if you want to catch up.

Yes, I mean there's no news articles or any talk about anything serious.

Other then common sense, is there anything else to go on that points to anyone suing?

The thing about that, over in Europe they made them take out bundled Internet Explorer and they made them do a few things we weren't able to make them do here and they paid fines over there, etc.
Why is there no investigation over there over forced upgrades because that is what they are. If there is no chance to cancel (moreover if they reprogrammed the Cancel X button to mean YES) then that is a forced upgrade...

It appears it's just people like us talking and next month this whole thing will be over when the "free" upgrade ends...

Other than the souring of their brand, no I don't have anything good to go on. And frankly Apple is probably watching and wanting to take this same measure of control over their own users (and they already aren't exactly angels in how they implement things either). After being around for as long as I have, I guess I'm going on gut and professional instinct. Nothing has happened like this before, and over even less consequential changes peope have left M$ for Apple and Linux. Now we're transitioning to a web based experience, solutions like Chromebook/google are viable. The more options available the more likely people will see abandoning M$ as a reality. A few years ago, it would be to the deteriment of the end user to switch platforms. Now, not so much. Most people can get everything they need done on their smartphones nowadays. Microsoft doesn't even have a horse in that race anymore. They'r e in serious trouble, perhaps this really is the writing on the wall and desperation on their part to remain viable. Maybe the incidiousness of their actions is actually an indicator they're NOT drinking the kool aid and are actually seeing their dwindling position for what it is. Last ditch effort, so to speak. Remember Blackberry? There's some similarities, it's just going to take longer for M$ to tumble.

PC sales are falling faster than expected and it's all Windows 10's fault...
IDC lays the blame for the unexpected increase in decline on challenging markets and the free rollout of upgrades to Windows 10 from earlier versions of Microsoft's software. IDC and Gartner data is similar.

So it's official: HP's 2015 claim that Windows 10 will 'inspire' users to buy a new PC is dead in the water..

This is similar to when Microsoft stopped development of Internet Explorer to force users to switch to Windows 10... but then when forced to make a choice, users actually opted to just get Firefox/Chrome instead of change their OS. So Microsoft shot themselves in the foot on both counts.

Or... just use the third party app. Takes like 15 seconds. lol

I prefer not to have extra software on my computer. I'm also in the minority and I realize that. Short of having to learn to write code I would rather do the work myself if I can. M$ has inspired me to have much less faith in programmers. LOL

Yes, it's always good to know how to do things of this nature manually.

Adobe people say there is nothing they can do about patching Internet Explorer on Windows 8.0, even though they DO HAVE the patches.
Microsoft's approach was to take over applying Adobe Flash patches and *only* allow them to be installed through Windows Update.
So now we know why. It was so Microsoft could say, we will not allow you to update Adobe Flash through Windows Update any more. UNLESS you update your Windows.
So you MUST update your Windows.

But there are so many machines which legitimately cannot update the OS.
So Adobe keeps making patches, they are there, but Microsoft refuses to allow their installation in order to teach people a lesson about still using Windows 8.0 and not updating. They should have never interfered and should have let users install their own Adobe patches.

Now they are putting owners of those machines in danger and they are putting the rest of us in danger because those unpatched machines can be used as drones in attacks.

Yes. After Windows 7, you can no longer update Adobe Flash in any other way except through Microsoft-controlled Windows Update.
Microsoft makes Adobe hand over the patch and Microsoft controls its distribution.

When a Windows version reaches End-OF-Life, Microsoft witholds Adobe patches, which remember, now can only be applied through Microsoft.

Enter "People should just upgrade Windows" crowd to justify this blackmail.

This does not apply to Firefox and Chrome, which can still be updated manually, which is why you don't hear too many complaints.
Just because this doesn't therefore affect you or me because we don't use IE, that's besides the point of what Microsoft is doing and why.

I now recall your thread on this subject. I tried W8 when the Developer Preview came out and found reason after reason to not like it. Cripes, M$ has screwed the pooch in so many ways since 7 I can't even remember them all.

Back