• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu Remote Desktop Software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Want to remote desktop in from Windows 10.

Tried Splashtop, but this crashes in Ubuntu. Have it running on 2 different machines...and they both crash Splashtop within 10 minutes of each other. Have to go to the machine and restart Splashtop...kind of defeats the purpose of remote desktop! :D (My backup plan is to write a script that will sense when Splashtop has crashed and start it again.)

I tried running the RDP server, but I cannot get it to connect from Windows. Log in is successful...tries to display GUI...then crashes the Windows client software.

TeamViewer works :thup:

There is also more complicated methods if you dont like teamviewer - involves TightVNC - but I have trouble getting them to work. Not because they dont work, but because of my skill level

I shied away from Team Viewer with Windows (liked Splashtop better)...but Splashtop is still in "Beta" as evidenced by above.

Is Team Viewer stable?

(TightVNC is what kept crashing in Windows).

I use it to control my "server" as a headless setup. The only time it has ever failed is when the OS failed to load because of mistakes I made with the Fstab. Only reason I put server in quotes was because it started as a NAS but has a full fledged OS and I use it for more than FTP/Samba transfers. I would call it stable but YMMV

Probably a n00b question...is VNC the Windows client and x11vnc the Linux server?

Probably a n00b question...is VNC the Windows client and x11vnc the Linux server?

VNC is the protocol. on linux by default vnc starts a new X session... i.e. if you log in at your linux computer, then walk to say a windows computer and remote into the linux machine you would get a new desktop. So to attach to a currently running desktop in linux x11vnc is used

For windows there is realvnc, tightvnc and a host of others that produce programs that use the vnc protocol

i use team viewer for ubuntu, works great.

Loaded up team viewer...works great for Ubuntu...thanks!

It also loads up BEFORE you log in...Splashtop did not do that (hence, really defeating the purpose of a remote desktop!)

Back