• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Gen GPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Just curious when could we expect some performance reviews of the next gen gpu's? I know they are to be released to the public Q2 but I'm assuming that reviewers get them before that?

I would expect performance reviews around the launch/street date of the video cards. It is very rare to see them at all before the actual launch day (or at most a day or two prior).

Q2 may still be a stretch, I've heard estimates including Q3 or possibly Q4, at this point it is strictly a wait and see.

for the design work at the shop they are pushing "grid" with teslas, VERY, VERY HARD, but by others further up from sales I'm being told to hold off till 2017, if that might mean anything.
to me that kind of means that something better is on the horizon than kepler based teslas and Maxwell based quadros.

Polaris parts will be out soon. Perhaps not the flagship (same as nvidia), but polaris will be out soon (ish).

I would expect performance reviews around the launch/street date of the video cards. It is very rare to see them at all before the actual launch day (or at most a day or two prior).

Q2 may still be a stretch, I've heard estimates including Q3 or possibly Q4, at this point it is strictly a wait and see.
Q3, Q4, is that for Nvidia release?

For both. I imagine we will see midrange pascal I'm the next couple of months

I heard that premieres will be in June.
Polaris looks interesting. I just hope it won't cost too much as AMD is trying to match nvidia performance and prices ... and nvidia is overpricing everything.

I heard that premieres will be in June.
Polaris looks interesting. I just hope it won't cost too much as AMD is trying to match nvidia performance and prices ... and nvidia is overpricing everything.

I hope the new GPU's will be at least 40-50% faster even the low and mid-end ones.

I'd be less surprised at them aiming for 10%-20% faster than the "other guy" at the same price points. nVidia seems to follow that strategy. They like to drag out "improvements" over as long a life cycle as possible by just staying a little ahead. It's a sound strategy. They probably keep R&D costs down by not constantly looking to nuke Team Red , and with incremental releases (Ti , etc) they keep their products ahead and on the front pages and in new reviews longer/more often , getting free advertising through exposure. Given their market share , I'd say it works.

I'd be less surprised at them aiming for 10%-20% faster than the "other guy" at the same price points. nVidia seems to follow that strategy. They like to drag out "improvements" over as long a life cycle as possible by just staying a little ahead. It's a sound strategy. They probably keep R&D costs down by not constantly looking to nuke Team Red , and with incremental releases (Ti , etc) they keep their products ahead and on the front pages and in new reviews longer/more often , getting free advertising through exposure. Given their market share , I'd say it works.

The crux right now is power draw. Im looking at leaked specs, it doesn't appear to be too much of a raw performance gain (at least what Im looking at, floating point performance suggests a card around the 390 level), but absolutely massive performance/watt gains (120w vs 300+).

What this might do is severely open the flood gates for overclockability on these cards. I'd love to see what they can do.

I hope the new GPU's will be at least 40-50% faster even the low and mid-end ones.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Hardware companies have been sticking to the incremental upgrade path for the last several years. Although it would be nice to have the clearcut, this is an upgrade for anyone and everyone decision to make/say.

Back