• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling capacity - Swiftech MCR320-QP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I searched and didn't find a straightforward answer.

My cooling setup consists of a MCR320QP rad, three high speed yate loons on a fan controller, a 655 pump, and a apogee block.

It is cooling the x5660 quite well...I hit voltage limits well before temp limits. I'm wondering if I can add a 980 GTX to the loop without overloading the radiator.

How many watts can the MCR320QP dissipate?

You can try, but to keep it quiet you might need to add 120.1 or 120.2.
The TDP of the 980 will work in your favor though, being nowhere near the 250W GPU which most people are adding.

I could mount a 120.2 at the top of my TJ07 case no problem, but I really don't want to invest more in water cooling. I really don't want to water cool a GPU but the deal hardass has going for a 980gtx + ek block is becoming harder to pass up.

My noise levels are low now. From your response I gather the 980 is too much to add to the existing loop?

i have had a qx9650 @4.0ghz and a r9 280x on a single 120.3 swiftech rad with fairly good temps. i would try it out first, and see how your temps are, might not have the best delta t for water temps, but the rest of your temps would probably still be reasonable.

In the STICKIES and hundreds of posts we mention 100 watts per 120 or 140 radiator space. Squared. Again and again. That will give you decent if not good cooling.

Fannage, (which you have for your 120x3 rad), pumpage, will cool any processor out here depending on your ambient room temp, your case setup, your CPU block etc.

Again 100 watts per rad square is the general norm.

Sorry I didnt reference the stickies here. I google searched the radiator model and went through two dozen results or so before posting.

Thanks for the post and the passive aggressive nature of your answer. Apparently I'm right at the edge with 95w for the CPU and 165w for the GPU not including overclocked increases.

- - - Updated - - -

i have had a qx9650 @4.0ghz and a r9 280x on a single 120.3 swiftech rad with fairly good temps. i would try it out first, and see how your temps are, might not have the best delta t for water temps, but the rest of your temps would probably still be reasonable.

Thank you this is perfect. The 980gtx draws less power than the 280x after a quick search so this is exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
I am passive aggressive when it comes to this, sorry. You have been here since 2004. You know the value of reading posts and just doing a quick easy search hoping for a magic answer. You trusted Google, not your home since 2004 PC cooling forum. It's your effort, not our efforts that makes you successful. I didn't write a bunch of stickies and Skinnee and others for no reason.

Yea, we had the info here, you decided not to read it.

Sorry I didnt reference the stickies here. I google searched the radiator model and went through two dozen results or so before posting.

Thanks for the post and the passive aggressive nature of your answer. Apparently I'm right at the edge with 95w for the CPU and 165w for the GPU not including overclocked increases.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you this is perfect. The 980gtx draws less power than the 280x after a quick search so this is exactly what I was looking for.

You're welcome. Also, I had the rad setup with push+pull fans, not sure how it would do if you only have 3 fans. Not sure how many you use, just thought I would point that out.

Last edited:
not have the best delta t for water temps, but the rest of your temps would probably still be reasonable.

This. :thup: Your delta temps will rise once the GPU is added to the loop but it is still doable.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't measured my delta now...I should do that and post a before and after if I end up adding a card.

Back