• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 9590 cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

I currently have a build that runs fine, however I want to try to get the temps down a little bit. Now my build: amd fx 9590, crosshair v formula z, nvidia gtx 980, 32 gbs ripjaw ram, 1050watt psu. The build has a total of 7 fans.

To cool it, I have a corsair hydro series h105. The radiator is mounted to the top of the rig. The current temps, under planetside 2 gaming are 63 c. Now it never gets over that however it's still a little high for me.

My question is would moving the rad to the front of the rig where the intake is, make a difference. Or enough for me to take it all apart. I also am curious if adding a self maintained water cooling unit to the northbridge would help as well. I know I have a mini heater for a processor, I'm just trying to maintain the heat a bit. Is there a heatsink I can't replace that would improve the temps?

IMG_20160731_113817.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thank you ahead of time

Last edited:
Only way to improve your temp is by adding more rad.
BTW, when you quote temps, please do it in Celsius. :)
Also, your rear fan should be exhaust, not intake.

Is there any upgraded northbridge heatsinks I could replace it with to help? Maybe one with a fan on it?

NB is never a problem, so it would be useless.
Small fan on the PWM sinks and the back of the socket do the most good.

Would moving the rad I have now to the front of the case, which is the intake, help at all?

Only a degree or two. Not worth the hassle.
Adding another rad to the front would be worth it.

Could that pump handle another 120.2 with all the lines? Might even throw the northbridge onto the loop while I'm at it.

I cannot answer that positively. I personally wouldn't do it.
Adding NB block only adds more restriction and much more heat to the loop. I advise against that.
Full out custom loop is the only way to go on the FX's. I have a few, so I'm not exactly unfamiliar.

Well I kinda didn't want to go the custom loop was since I have that other cooler. Thank you for the help though

- - - Updated - - -

How about adding a 120.1 to the current pump and throw it on the back where the fan is. Would that work?

I flipped the fans around on my last rig (FX 6350 & H100i) to pull outside air through the rad and dropped a few degrees, but with a 9590 I'm with Mr. Scott. That chip is a furnace. If you go with a custom loop you can make meaningful improvements in temps but anything less is just going to be a band aid.

on the boards all you need is a fan on the vrm heatsinks as Mr. Scott has said.
heatkiller made a block and I am waiting for one to appear for sale, but I know that it's all show and will add no go.
with 8 core chips custom water is about the only way to tame the beasts, by the time you are done playing with little all in ones and the like you will have close to the $300 or so a custom loop will cost.

Back