• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows update deleting certain programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't have enough data to argue this too hard, but bottom line is I've never had any version of CPU-Z cause a problem on any Windows 7/8/10 system I've installed it on. Any version. Never. What is this mystical incompatibility MS are claiming? Could I say it works error free on 100% of all systems without error? No. Can MS say same for Win 10? No!

I'm between a rock and a hard place here. I don't like many things MS have done since Win2k, which I consider to be the last friendly OS they made. But there is no other alternative I can live with. MacOS is worse in several fundamental user interface areas and software availability for things I care about. Linux... not even close. So even with all its pains, Windows is the least worst choice for me. It's like deciding who to vote for... they all suck, some suck a little less than others.

I don't have enough data to argue this too hard, but bottom line is I've never had any version of CPU-Z cause a problem on any Windows 7/8/10 system I've installed it on. Any version. Never. What is this mystical incompatibility MS are claiming? Could I say it works error free on 100% of all systems without error? No. Can MS say same for Win 10? No!

I'm between a rock and a hard place here. I don't like many things MS have done since Win2k, which I consider to be the last friendly OS they made. But there is no other alternative I can live with. MacOS is worse in several fundamental user interface areas and software availability for things I care about. Linux... not even close. So even with all its pains, Windows is the least worst choice for me. It's like deciding who to vote for... they all suck, some suck a little less than others.

I like OS X. If it had better gaming performance and the full set of games that Windows has I would drop Windows for my personal machine in a heartbeat. The problem is the only true gaming machine running OS X would be a hackintosh. This is disappointing.

If Micorsoft would drop the forced updates, stop trying to use my machine to distribute updates, and stop trying to data mine my machine I would be exceptionally happy with Windows 10.

I would too. Just so we are clear, Microsoft has admitted uninstalling software which is less than one year old, through a mandatory update where you can't (de)select individual updates, on paid license machines [as opposed to Microsoft Insider Beta testing machines].

I would fight for your right to think that is ok, thid & EarthDog, but how many people in here know anyone else who thinks that is ok? Because most people would strongly oppose mandatory software uninstalls.
This has nothing to do with data gathering / conspiracy topics which are entirely separate issues from this, and I say that because linking those with uninstalling software is a classic straw man argument...

Last edited:
I do not necessarily agree with the practice either. At minimum I feel a warning should pop up and then perhaps you have a button that says 'do not show this warning again - use at your own risk' then it goes (and stays) away. I shared that it did not happen to me and would like to get to the bottom of it (specifically how old do they have to be, or what are the parameters that determine the application doesn't work with the OS and then get deleted?).

For the record, I installed CPUz 1.27 on my PC last night to see if it would work. Would anyone like to take bets on if it worked or not? :p

Has any paid licensed software been documented as being uninstalled?

There is no excuse for arbitrarily uninstalling software on a person's computer,
particularly the programs MS has deemed as unsuitable to their tastes, and
especially since the programs singled out here work very well when installed
after Windows 10 is running.

I do not necessarily agree with the practice either. At minimum I feel a warning should pop up and then perhaps you have a button that says 'do not show this warning again - use at your own risk' then it goes (and stays) away. I shared that it did not happen to me and would like to get to the bottom of it (specifically how old do they have to be, or what are the parameters that determine the application doesn't work with the OS and then get deleted?).

For the record, I installed CPUz 1.27 on my PC last night to see if it would work. Would anyone like to take bets on if it worked or not? :p

I know it worked. :D It worked for me too when I saw the notice about the software being removed and then I reinstalled it and it worked then too. There seems to me no reason to take the software off the machine.

There are no documented cases of paid software uninstalls. Freeware was uninstalled in all cases and if anyone knows otherwise, they should post - but I doubt it.
I think it's important to remember that this is not something that affects every machine.

Microsoft did this knowingly and intentionally on a limited number of machines.
There should be no doubt as to why. It's so that they could see how much of a (dust) storm is raised over this.

Last edited:
There are no documented cases of paid software uninstalls. Freeware was uninstalled in all cases and if anyone knows otherwise, they should post - but I doubt it.
I think it's important to remember that this is not something that affects every machine.

Microsoft did thing knowingly and intentionally on a limited number of machines.
There should be no doubt as to why. It's so that they could see how much of a (dust) storm is raised over this.

It doesn't matter to me if the software was free or paid. It was still software I installed that Microsoft uninstalled.

I agree with you it seems like they where testing the waters. I haven't seen it done sense but I have been keeping an eye out for it.

I'm already prepping to drop Windows for everything but games. On the off chance that Steam OS takes off and everything starts getting ported and released on it then I'll pull the plug on Windows outside of the few things I need for work if Microsoft keeps going down the path they are on.

Last edited:
I have not had this happen myself, but I would not be happy if it happened. I have 2 machines running Ubuntu right now. I may just have to convert them all. I need to do more testing with Wine or Virtual Box to see how well they run the windows programs I cannot find a good replacement for.

Virtual Box on OS X is pretty solid. I prefer VM Ware and soon to be Parallels because of the ability to run the programs from Windows and make it feel like it is running in OS X. On Linux I'm sure you will be pleased with Virtual Box.

Back