• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Windows 10 Decision I'm having trouble making

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkade

So I have a copy of Win 7 Ult and Win 10 LTSB(Current LTSB).

Like many here I game, use the internet, do my job, and fart around with stuff on here. But I'm having 3 major issues with 10 over 7.

1. I prefer my UAC slider one notch down to NOT Dim my desktop. It improves my work flow as I'm not suddenly interrupted by the "Secure" Desktop. In Windows 10 the UAC prompt will appear in Narnia instead of on top of the windows explorer window requiring a alt-tab dance to access the UAC prompt. It's annoying and requires me to either disable UAC or deal with the annoying issues.

2. Automatic maintenance seems to take a while. The computer is only on when in use and needs to stay off when not in use, I cannot have it powering up unattended. But it doesn't have the ability to disable automatic maintenance(that I could find yet). It has a noticeable performance hit. I'd rather be able to trigger it when I feel it's best and not have it try automatically.

3. Windows update is beyond stupid. Same thing as above I cannot have windows update acting whenever it wants. I need to be able to install the updates when time permits and reboot when the system is able to be rebooted without ruining workflow. I have made it like 7 where it informs me of updates but doesn't download them automatically but after installing Windows takes rebooting into it's own hands which is unacceptable.

I like 10's task manager, I like the much better version of defender, I like the new file manager, I like DX12, I like having very current updates, I like the speed, but Some of the UI annoys me, and it has some features I need help fixing.

With 7 I definitely felt more in control of the computer, 10 not so much. I feel like MS thinks we are all braindead.

Any help or advice on the 3 issues currently. Any other forums simply goes "You should move the UAC slider blahh blahh virus blahh, auto maintence helps you stupid blahh, windows update is forced deal with it" So i'd rather ask a community that is made of Power users and not Gram gram who needs the extra help and probably benefits from not using XP or... win 2000(True Story)

If I can't figure this out I'm going to very sadly reinstall 7 :(

EDIT: I can't even understand my post, can you?

Last edited:
You don't have to wade through the whole thread, but here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773926-quot-Cortana-you-re-fired!-quot are some useful links and directions on how to make W10 behave the way you want it to. I would go through the last 5-10 pages in case I missed moving relevant stuff to the first post, but I try to keep the nuts and bolts updated to post #1 to make it easier for folks like you to find what you need, because every situation has its own quirks. :thup:

There are even contributions from members who like Windows 10 (Can you imagine? LOL) so it isn't just bashing Microsoft's latest and greatest. There is plenty of that if you're so inclined, but the thread's purpose is to help people get a handle on W10's behavior and default actions.

WOW, this is the most helpful post i've ever read!!! I might contribute! You are seriously amazing!!!

Back