• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the point of G-Sync at 60hz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BonaOver

Registered
I might be talking **** and if I am please someone answer this for me, so, G-sync makes your refresh rate sync to your fps right? Removing screentearing o_O, that is what I don't understand, if you play with fps lower than 60 on a 60hz display it is not possible to have screentearing, what does G-sync helps? Once you go over 60 fps u will get screentearing since the monitor can't increase de refresh rate, the only way is to cap it at 60 fps, which V-sync does since forever. Can somebody tell me what is the purpose of this? Does it help with **** framerates? like 45 and 30. Thanks.

The below-60 FPS also matters as well, when you drop below 60 on a 60hz panel you will get stuttering. With G-sync/Freesync the refresh rate change helps compensate for dropping down and still provides a smoother image.

It's for that reason that a lot of console games lock at 30FPS because they can almost guarantee it will stick there, on games that are unlocked to 60FPS that drop below that it provides tearing/stuttering in the picture.

Gsync will delay the monitor Hz to the GPU FPS when it dips down to 30 FPS it is the slowest the G-sync monitors will go. The object is to match the monitor refresh rate Hz perfectly to the GPU FPS. If you buy a G-sync monitor that has a max refresh rate of 60Hz you will have to use G-sync and Adaptive V sync.

With "Adaptive V sync" vs "v sync" there is no stuttering or lag because the Adaptive v sync does not jump down to 30FPS from 60FPS it will go 59 FPS allowing G-sync to match that in refresh rate 59 Hz.

Gsync will delay the monitor Hz to the GPU FPS when it dips down to 30 FPS it is the slowest the G-sync monitors will go. The object is to match the monitor refresh rate Hz perfectly to the GPU FPS. If you buy a G-sync monitor that has a max refresh rate of 60Hz you will have to use G-sync and Adaptive V sync.

With "Adaptive V sync" vs "v sync" there is no stuttering or lag because the Adaptive v sync does not jump down to 30FPS from 60FPS it will go 59 FPS allowing G-sync to match that in refresh rate 59 Hz.
+1

Just a note though, you don't need a G-Sync monitor for adaptive vsync. Those are two different things. When you have a Gsync monitor, you won't use adaptive vsync as you monitor is already doing that work.

+1

Just a note though, you don't need a G-Sync monitor for adaptive vsync. Those are two different things. When you have a Gsync monitor, you won't use adaptive vsync as you monitor is already doing that work.

If you have a G Sync monitor with a max refresh rate of 60Hz the video card could go over 60Hz and you will get screen tearing, that is why you should be running adaptive vsync. People have reported problems running just v sync instead of adaptive vsync.

If you have a monitor with a refresh rate of 144Hz there usually no complaints you can run just G-sync if your FPS is not over your monitor refresh rate of 144Hz for the most part.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-should-i-enable-v-sync-in-my-game-settings-/

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399791

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=g-sync+vsync+on+or+off

So basically G-sync is something good for people with bad rigs? Because if you have a High-end machine you probably will get a 144hz display

Thanks for the answers btw

Last edited:
G-sync is good for people with good and bad rigs. People that can do 144hz likely can't keep it there the entire time thus when G-sync is nice to have.

In the end though, it seems rare to need to use any version of vsync with a G-sync monitor. I understood your post to read that 60hz monitors were the norm and it was used more frequently. I get it now though.

This really got me curious to test it on 1080p 144hz, 144hz is buttery smooth, with Gsync is it even smoother?

This really got me curious to test it on 1080p 144hz, 144hz is buttery smooth, with Gsync is it even smoother?
Every user has a different experience, however with Gsync you wont have any dropped frames from the video card to the monitor, even if you cant tell because your to busy playing the game or some other reason you don't notice lag or stutter, also depending on the game.

Here is a Free sync Demo.

Last edited:
Back