• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From i5-4670K/H97 to i7-6700k/z170 or i7-5820k/x99 w/OC potential

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeraton

Hi Overclockers,

First let me say sorry for my bad wording/english. Because I'm not a native speaker. :D

I need your help and suggestions. Because I'm currently somehow in between two seats. And I can't find the right setup for my next upgrade.
In the past 2 weeks I read a lot about the platforms, CPUs, RAM and all this kind of stuff. But the more I read, you know... I'm lost now :confused:

I know that I've a bottleneck with my board and CPU while running multiple-tasks.. I'm a Gamer and Streamer (mostly BF4 and Armored Warfare (Cryengine)). I'm playing on 2.560x1.440 @144Mhz.
And my CPU is quite often at the limit with main 4-10 tasks.
Now I want to upgrade CPU, board and RAM. In a second step I want to buy a second GPU and tending to buy a capture card and a 2nd kit of RAM.
Beside that, I want to keep the Intel setup. Because I'm running Intel since 15 years and I'm happy with it.

My questions would be the following:
1. Updrade
i7-6700k with z170 or i7-5820k with x99 board for max. performance output ingame/streaming @ max. 350€?
16GB RAM or 32GB as DC or QC-Kit with xxxxMhz?

2. For the 2nd step:
2nd CPU performance increase vs. price?
New PSU needed with 2xGPUs?
2nd RAM Kit with 16GB or 32GB necessary?
Capture card or not? (found one like the avermedia C985)
OC on RAM and CPU? (Alpenföhn Brocken 2 already on CPU)

Thanks for your input :thup:

Last edited:
Zeraton, welcome to the forum.

A few questions for you:
What else besides gaming and streaming is the Pc used for?
What are the exact specs of the Current setup. I see the i5 4670k H97 board but Gpu, Cooling and Psu (exact make and model).
When we see the current setup in more detail it will help us better help you. You may be able to just grab yourself a Z97 motherboard, overclock the chip and get a year or two more out of the current setup.

As far as the new build goes, unless you're running low voltage DDR3 you cannot re use the ram you have on the H 97 build, with the new setup. Both the Z170 and X99 will be using DDR4 ram.

Hi Mandrake,

I'm just using it for streaming and gaming. With the current setup OC isn't possible because of the board.
Otherwise I would have done it already. Signatur updated. I guess all necessary details below now.

I know that I could move the Z97 but I'm not sure if it would be huge performance step vs. Z170/X99.
I'm more or less already on Z170/X99 because I think they're more future-oriented vs. the Z97 boards.

At the my final question would be more or less, which setup has will bring more advantige for gaming/steaming/OC.
Asus Maximus VIII Hero + i7-6700K vs. Asus X99-Deluxe/Sabertooth + i7-5820K

Honestly, I would try dropping $140 on a Z97 board and overclock before I would drop $600 on X99... Worst case is you sell it for a slight loss.

For streaming, I would go X99 and 5820K. That said, I would choose different boards. While both boards are good, you don't need to spend that amount of money. MSI X99 SLI Plus comes to mind as does ASRock Extreme 6. Just make sure it has the features you need/want the color/theme, and go from there.

Last edited:
I agree with ED.

My suggestion to grab a Z97 Board is merely to save you some cash. MY son still uses my i5 2500k @4.5 Ghz to game and stream on and he doesn't have any issues with it. Yes moving up to a 6700k or 5820k will improve you're streaming/rendering though. As ED mentioned you do not need a top end board to run a 6700k or 5820k unless you're planning on doing some serious overclocking.

I do recommend X99 for this use, especially if a capture card and SLI may be in the future. You'll need the extra PCIe lanes.

I've checked my running tasks without the streaming programms (only game is active).
I'm running currently with 72-78 tasks and with approx. 50% idle and 80% cpu usage if the game is running. If I start all streaming progs I'm easiely at 100%.

@ Mandrake it might be as well a question in which format/qualitly your son is streaming. I can easily stream on 1.080x720 or less. But It's not the same if you stream in 1.920x1.080.
What are your Z97 suggestions?

Last edited:
@ Mandrake it might be as well a question in which format/qualitly your son is streaming. I can easily stream on 1.080x720 or less. But It's not the same if you stream in 1.920x1.080.
What are your Z97 suggestions?
I really do not know what resolution he is streaming at, I would assume it's 720p. As far as a Z97 board, Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H are really nice boards for the money.

Now it will be a really tough decision, if I spend 140€ for a new mainboard (MSI Z97 Gaming 5, because of 3 year warrenty ) and spend approx. 100€ for some great custom sleeved cables http://www.ensourced.net/ and to keep all other parts.
Or do I switch to a complete new system for 900€/1.7k€

Last edited:
Now it will be a really tough decision, if I spend 140€ for a new mainboard (MSI Z97 Gaming 5, because of 3 year warrenty ) and spend approx. 100€ for some great custom sleeved cables http://www.ensourced.net/ and to keep all other parts.
Or do I switch to a complete new system for 900€/1.7k€
Not really a call I can make for you, though buying custom sleeved cables is a waste, just do them yourself. If money is no object, get the newer setup and call it a day. Either the 6700k or the 5820k will be a really nice upgrade, on the programs that can utilize all the cores/threads.

last week I bought a MSI Gaming 5 board and it's working well atm @ 4.0GHz.
Need to finetune a bit all settings. Because I go up to 4.4Ghz.

I guess on this I need some advice because I'm working now with XTU and it's totally new for me.

Back