• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking About a New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FearBefore

Registered
Well my current PC is about 5 years old now (specs are in sig) and I have a itch to do a new build. I have a general idea of what I want to do, but its always nice to hear some opinions before a big purchase. I mostly play simulators such as Train Simulator 2016, Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, FSX, Run8, etc. I don't overclock so I'm not going to spend the extra money on a K cpu or z170. Also I don't need a lot of storage so the 250GB will be enough.

Here's what I'm thinking..

CPU: i3 6100 or i5 6500 (Still can't decide if I really need a quad core)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming, MSI B150M BAZOOKA, or MSI B150M Mortar (4 pin vs 8 pin? Does it make a difference?)
Ram: 8GB DDR4 2133
GPU: GTX 970 4GB
PSU: 550W-600W PSU
SSD: 250GB SSD
Case: Reusing Fractal Design Core 1000 mATX case.

Any thoughts or suggestions are encouraged!

Some of these things arent necessarily a function of "what you need" but become a ridiculous value for money. For example, SSD prices have plummeted. Theres really not much sense in getting a ~250gb ssd for 80-90$ when you can get ~500gb for another 20 bucks.

GTX 970 sounds over kill for your uses to be honest. Most of those simulators you listed are more heavily dependent on CPU performance over raw GPU power. Obviously get the best you can get, but a balanced system should be in order.

2133mhz is ddr3 speeds, dont waste your time lol.

Also, one last thing, you should absolutely be buying the "K" variants if possible. No you dont need to overclock. Why then? 1) resale is MUCH easier and 2) they have faster clock speeds out of the box (win win).

this would be my recommendation for you for a "higher end" version->
*ASSUMING 1080p GAMING ONLY*
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bxw8WZ

Rationale ->
- 6600k for higher base clock speed and resale value down the road. 30$ extra for improved performance and longevity.
- needs a cooler, so why not go with the king of value.
- H and Z boards no longer have huge price disparities. The z170 hd3p is a value leader on the 1151 socket.
- 3000mhz ram is more like it :) 2$ more than 2133 version....
- this thing is a monster value for the money. Can swap out with the 90$ 250gb 850 evo if you wanna be stubborn...
- gtx 960 fits in VERY nicely with this build, and powers through sims pretty well.
- cx430m has enough juice and decent enough construction. Be wary of the "hatred" of this unit. There has been numerous revisions, and people still use the old revisions to make their point, even though the newer revisions of the cx series are quite decent. Its a solid buy for this type of system, and has about twice as much power as you need. You can upgrade to a gtx 980ti and still be ok. (without a gpu, you are sitting around 110-130w tdp usage).

I would purches the i5 6500 and the GTX 970 for future proofing you never know what games you might want to play, also 8GB DDR4 2133 is fine so you can use stock speeds on the low cost motherboards you selected.

You can go with a 4 pin since your not overclocking.

Last edited:
I second Bob on this one, that's a pretty solid build for sims. You probably won't be getting Ultra settings, but still pretty good.

Back