• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing caps in center bookshelf speaker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawnmcc

I recently had to replace the caps in my center bookshelf speakers with what I had. I had some extra caps from another project rated 35v 2000uf the two caps in it are rated this now. Now if I replace one of those with a 450v 100uf would it break the speaker cause the uf is closer to what was originally in there if I do this.

Capacitance should be the same, you can go a little higher on the voltage though.

So if the bad caps to be replaced are 32v 2000 uf then no a 450v 100uf capacitor would not work from what I've read.

A capacitor in a speakers is different then a normal circuit. The capacitor controls the roll off of frequencies in a speaker. Changing the value will cause the speaker to sound different because of a change in the frequency range being provided to the speaker. You want to stick with the same exact rating capacitor to keep the same sound.

Also, don't use polarized capacitors. A speaker circuit is a AC circuit, not DC.

Capacitance must be the same. Voltage has to be the same or higher.

Pay special attention to the type of capacitor (X7R, COG, NPO, electrolytic, tantalum, film, etc.). These different dielectrics give different performance.

The key thing for high value capacitors (in the uF) is to keep the ESR rating as low as possible. If you replace a cap with a higher ESR, it will dissipate more energy (as heat) and will have a different frequency response.

So far the polarized caps are working I don't have any other caps to use. I am very surprised it worked. the original was 100v 100uf in the speaker. So the 450v would be closer then the 35v 1000uf would be.

These caps are only temp any way till I get my check next month. Before I put them in I never got any bass out of the speaker and the treble was ear piercing.

A different value cap will change the frequency response of the speaker.

Just be cautious and watch closely...a different value capacitor could cause higher voltage kick back off the speaker inductor...especially at higher powers.

Yep I just installed the 450v 100uf and it fixed everything I can hear every voice every sound now out of it. It is perfect. Plus the wires in my speaker have + and negative terminals for the caps so I think that's why it worked.

The + and - terminal are there just to wire the speakers in phase, it is still a AC circuit, in which you've put a DC capacitor.

Strange that it works then I know these speakers are pos and neg sensitive if you reverse them it burns it out.

No that's the weird part. It has coils in it and one with a iron core like a transformer.

Back