• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to replace the default fans on my Corsair H115i, need some help to choose.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heroic_Void

Registered
So I've got the Corsair H115i and it's working really well for me. Nothing wrong with it at all. It's keeping temps quite low etc. Not incredibly loud either at full load. I just thought that if I can afford to get even better fans to make the cooling even more efficient then why not. I need 2 140mm fans for the radiator but I just see so many fans available that in the end I just can't think of what ones to choose.

I see the Phantek ones suggested along with Noiseblocker and stuff but I would like to get opinions from the guys here because you all know your stuff when it comes to cooling efficiency. I just want to maximise the cooling I can get because I am generally each day doing intense video rendering so it would be good to keep temps as low down as possible.

P.S - Which also brings me to another question, I eventually wanted to replace the default thermal paste that was on the H115i too. I've seen a few on Amazon. A Gelid one, Prolimatech PK3, Arctic MX-4 and also a CoolerMaster one that was getting good reviews. I ran out of Arctic Silver 5 a while ago now and from what I hear it's now being left in the dust by newer thermal compounds that are now appearing.

Thanks.

For thermal paste I like to use gelid gc extreme, will definitely perform better than AS5.

As for fans I like the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KF...236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nictua+140+ppc). They are a little pricey but they have a good control range and the quality is excellent. I am not very fluent on the best or cost efficient fans that are out there so I'm sure someone will come along with some more knowledgeable suggestions for the fans.

For thermal paste I like to use gelid gc extreme, will definitely perform better than AS5.

As for fans I like the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KF...236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nictua+140+ppc). They are a little pricey but they have a good control range and the quality is excellent. I am not very fluent on the best or cost efficient fans that are out there so I'm sure someone will come along with some more knowledgeable suggestions for the fans.

Nah that's no problem any suggestion is always appreciated. Thanks for the recommendation on the thermal paste. I've heard that apparently the Gelid Paste is quite thick or something and you have to spread it a different way or make it smoother somehow? I don't know whether this is true or not though.

I have heard this as well but never experienced it myself. The gelid is a little thicker than others but not unmanageable. I do not use the applicator it comes with to spread it though. I just put a small dot in the center of the cpu and let the waterblock spread it. Never had issues with a bad mount this way.

I have heard this as well but never experienced it myself. The gelid is a little thicker than others but not unmanageable. I do not use the applicator it comes with to spread it though. I just put a small dot in the center of the cpu and let the waterblock spread it. Never had issues with a bad mount this way.

Okay cool thanks a lot for the help. It'll definitely be going onto my list.

Check out the fans in my signature. I have 4 of them running push/pull on my Corsair H110i GTX (basically the same as the H115)...I run them at constant speed, and they are pretty quiet.

The ones on my signature are LED fans, but they also have non-led in this series too.

Check out the fans in my signature. I have 4 of them running push/pull on my Corsair H110i GTX (basically the same as the H115)...I run them at constant speed, and they are pretty quiet.

The ones on my signature are LED fans, but they also have non-led in this series too.

Just had a look at them on Amazon, they look pretty decent. I never actually knew Prolimatech made fans. I only knew them from the thermal paste.

I'd probably steer with MX-4 for TIM and eLoops for 140s. If budget is a concern, have a look at Helix140s but than again, don't expect a huge improvement on these changes as they are fairly minor.

I'd probably steer with MX-4 for TIM and eLoops for 140s. If budget is a concern, have a look at Helix140s but than again, don't expect a huge improvement on these changes as they are fairly minor.

Ah okay I'll check out the MX-4 then, it does seem to get good reviews. I had a long look at the eLoops and they seem pretty decent so I think I will go for them. Need to squeeze all the cooling I can due to me doing this long rendering stuff.

Thanks for the help.

When it comes to rad fans, the key component is static pressure. CFM is a great tool used when it comes to case cooling.

I should also add, Noctua and Vardar to the fan mix.

When it comes to rad fans, the key component is static pressure. CFM is a great tool used when it comes to case cooling.

I should also add, Noctua and Vardar to the fan mix.

Yeah Noctua are pretty decent. I have one of them on the front of my case along with a Cougar fan. I'll have to check out Vardar as well. Never heard of them before.

+1 on the noctua iPPC 3000's. I love 'em, put 'em on an h110i gt but with the intention of a custom loop down the line. SoOoo! The chances of you making any major gains temp wise are pretty much null(if that's your thought process). Im talkin maybe a 5c gain in cpu temps over the stock fans when I switched. At a certain point the rad itself just cant do anything with the extra cfm/pressure. Thats not to say there arent other gains to be had from the upgrade(increased airflow in your case and on other components cant hurt), but IMO the AIO will still be a weak link in the chain.

I love my iPPC-3000 fans, but man, they can make some noise at full tilt. Currently they are just intake fans for my case as I am slowly gathering parts for my custom loop, but for a closed loop, ID be concerned about fan control. Another thing to consider is that most mobo headers can't handle more the half an amp draw each, so you will need 2 PWM headers as each fan draws a max of .3A, or a powered PWM splitter depending on your current setup.

I love my iPPC-3000 fans, but man, they can make some noise at full tilt. Currently they are just intake fans for my case as I am slowly gathering parts for my custom loop, but for a closed loop, ID be concerned about fan control. Another thing to consider is that most mobo headers can't handle more the half an amp draw each, so you will need 2 PWM headers as each fan draws a max of .3A, or a powered PWM splitter depending on your current setup.

Yeah that's the trouble (that I need PWM headers). I do have 2 that I use for the radiator fans at the moment.

This could be helpful to add PMW control with out sweating on board amperage

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

That's what I ended up getting (just a different brand). It uses a molex for power, and a single wire to connect to the 4th pin of my one functional PWM header. They really are great fans, I got mine as I needed something that can push through a high FPI rad solo (only push, not push pull). Long story but it's a case limitation...

This could be helpful to add PMW control with out sweating on board amperage

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

Hmm I don't know if I would need one due to me having 2 PWM headers or not though.

- - - Updated - - -

I was gonna say also that once I get rid of my current radiator fans I will have 2 PWM headers as shown in this image.

A8Ttu1m.png

So I should be okay.

Last edited:
Probably, as long as you are not asking to much out of them

personally I like to power fans and pumps directly using the PMW headers simply for their control capabilities

Probably, as long as you are not asking to much out of them

personally I like to power fans and pumps directly using the PMW headers simply for their control capabilities

The only time the fans'll probably be put under any duress will be when I am doing some rendering for work or playing games and perhaps the off Prime95 test and perhaps Aida 64 too. In general I wont be doing like a whole days rendering project. But the thing is I don't think I even could. Because my system seems to render too fast for that to be a possible eventuality.

Just to ask though you mentioned that one of them fan hubs. Just to ask whereabouts are they placed in the PC? I just want to know so I can make relevant changes to cable management.

Thanks.

Back