• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

idle temps have dropped after beta driver - Radeon Software Version 16.5.2.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dopemoney

Registered
I read that after installing the new beta driver, some were experiencing decent performance boosts with high-end GPUs. So early this morning I installed the new AMD beta driver. Not only am I getting slightly better frame-rates in benchmarks and AAA titles, but my idle temps have dropped. I am curious how that might be. Is anyone else experiencing this? I mean, my MSI R9 390 was idling consistently around 66-67, now I idle at 59-62. The ambient temp has not changed.

I know in the last 5 or so drivers they have put out they were tweaking some kind of power efficiency feature. We can now enable and disable this feature. Perhaps they are finally getting the driver optimized properly too. Either way lower temps ARE a good thing. :) Set yourself a custom fan profile and set the bottom end to a fan speed of about 35% and your idle temps will drop a lot. Out of the box the MSI 390s have the fans off until the card reaches 60c(ish). I dont like this so I set up a profile that when idle or doing very little the fans run at 35%. This keeps my card idling in the mid 30s. As far as noise, I cant hear these fans in my case until they are above 85% or so. I do love my MSI card. :D TC and enjoy the lower temps. I hope AMD keeps improving there drivers. Its been long over due.

Z

Thanks for responding. Good to know Team Red is moving forward in their driver advances.
As far as the fans go, I don't mind them running at only 8-12% when idle. Noise doesn't bother me with the MSI version. I had the PowerColor version before (ended up returning for refund because of failure). I don't want the fans to have to work until the card starts getting hot, >70C.

When I play games hard core my card gets to about 60ish. I never see 70 degree temps unless I'm folding. I dont think it will hurt any thing but I like things as cool as possible.(within reason of course). Team Red has been dropping fresh driver updates almost weekly for about the last 2 months. Two weeks at most. With a few noted exceptions the drivers are getting better and faster too. At this stage Crimson has replaced CCC and I think now that Crimson has been out a while its starting to mature. There is still plenty of room for improvement but as you said I (so far) like what AMD is doing with the drivers. TC

Z

Back