• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clockspeed dropping at certain point when running torture test after OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuffDuuD

Hey. I am new to overclocking (i have done a lot of research before starting though) and i just bought AIO liquid cooler for my CPU so temps would stay in acceptable range, anyways i have problem now. I am currently at 4,5GHz and when running test with Prime95 all goes fine for a certain period of time without crashes or freezes, but after some time to the test (maybe minute or so) and when CPU temp hits around 68C, core speed drops from 4,5GHz to 1,4GHz and temps drop a little, back to 4,5GHz and keeps jumping between these all time to the point i shut the test and then jumps back to 4,5GHz. When the test is running and after it hits almost exactly 68C it drops the clockspeed -> temp drops -> clockspeed increases -> temp rises -> clockspeed drops... just keeps doing this. I cannot tell if the CPU temp has some kind of part in this even though 68C is not even much. Even the Vrm temps are okay with maximum of 68C also before the crash. I was actually at 4,7GHz at one point where this same thing happened with the clockspeed and dropped it after pc froze to 4,6GHz and then to 4,5Ghz. What would be best bet to try next?

Also i notice when i turn on game mode on GPU Tweak (which doesn't even do much as u might know/guess) after overclock i get all kinds of artifacts on screen when hovering cursor over icons or selecting area on desktop, what might cause this?

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
CPU: AMD FX 8320 with Fractal Design Celsius S24 cooler
PSU: XFX 550W
GPU: ASUS R9 280 3GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3

Here are some pics:

IDLE
oz7SKoH.png

RIGHT AFTER SPEED DROP
ev0OkVO.png

BIOS
UbXLFIa.png
6cUliB6.png
xf9ngSJ.png

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• oz7SKoH.png
    oz7SKoH.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
The CPU is throttling due to heat. 68C is too high for that chip (FX). You can try lowering voltage, lowering clock speed, or better cooling. Also possible the VRMs can't keep up, even if their temp is OK.

The CPU is throttling due to heat. 68C is too high for that chip (FX). You can try lowering voltage, lowering clock speed, or better cooling.

For real? I thought it could easily go over 70 at 100% load.

It is thermal throttle as stated.
AIO ain't enough cooling to get an FX much over 4.5
High end water is almost a must.

- - - Updated - - -

For real? I thought it could easily go over 70 at 100% load.
AMD is not Intel.
70c is irreparable damage on a FX.
60c is your ceiling.

Also, disable CPU Unlock. There is nothing to unlock on FX.
And lower your LLC level a little. Your vcore is boosting to over 1.5v under load.

Last edited:
It is thermal throttle as stated.
AIO ain't enough cooling to get an FX much over 4.5
High end water is almost a must.

- - - Updated - - -

AMD is not Intel.
70c is irreparable damage on a FX.
60c is your ceiling.

Aight, ill reduce the clock even more then. Thanks for replies!

Back