• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I keep pushing this FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borin

So this is my first attempt at overclocking anything, and I think it's going well. I brought my FX6300 up to 4.5ghz using only the multiplier and ran it for 2 hours in Prime Blend. I was able to do that at 1.3875 vcore, at 54C / 60C.

I'm now trying to tinker with the HTT (fka FSB?) and I've pulled some snips below. I'm starting to get concerned with temps; my CPU 0 and CPU both maxed at 63C. I checked the AMD website and it says max temp is 70.5C, but doesn't specify if that is core or socket. Regardless, CPU core should stay under 60, yes? Any recommendations on where to go from here?
hwinfo.PNG CPU.PNG Memory.PNG SPD.PNG

So this is my first attempt at overclocking anything, and I think it's going well. I brought my FX6300 up to 4.5ghz using only the multiplier and ran it for 2 hours in Prime Blend. I was able to do that at 1.3875 vcore, at 54C / 60C.

I'm now trying to tinker with the HTT (fka FSB?) and I've pulled some snips below. I'm starting to get concerned with temps; my CPU 0 and CPU both maxed at 63C. I checked the AMD website and it says max temp is 70.5C, but doesn't specify if that is core or socket. Regardless, CPU core should stay under 60, yes? Any recommendations on where to go from here?
View attachment 179614View attachment 179615View attachment 179616View attachment 179617

24 gigs of ram is a strange number. I would just go with whatever matched pair you have in the highest capacity you have and ditch the rest. Personally I would only overclock using the multiplier. That is what The Stilt suggests and overclocking the BCLK doesn't really have any merit though some may disagree with that. What I did was get a hole saw out and add fan to blow on the socket. I did this with like a dozen cases. I would also make sure I had a real good cpu cooler and good airflow. Maybe attach a fan to the mosfet heatsink itself. Your overclock is pretty hefty so I am sure the fets are getting hot. Oh, I see you have a NH-D15. You are good there. A 500 watt psu might be a bit skimpy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that you have reached the limit from a temp standpoint. Did you try just using the multiplier to overclock? Can you get just as high an overclock with just the multiplier? My biggest concern would be the extra strain on the IMC and degradation with that much RAM over time. Actually, there is one remarkable side note and that is you were able to get this good overclock with Kingston RAM. Many have had problems with Kingston just not playing well on AMD systems.

24 gigs of ram is a strange number.
I have 2x8 in one channel, and 2x4 in another channel. Each channel has a matched pair. This should not be a problem.

This overclock wasn't stable. I think the jump from 4.5 to 4.6 is too great; I can run 4.5 at 1.3875 confirmed stable, and I'm having trouble getting to 4.6 at 1.4125 vcore. I'm willing to accept 4.5 as my limit and stay there.

24 gigs of ram is a strange number. I would just go with whatever matched pair you have in the highest capacity you have and ditch the rest. Personally I would only overclock using the multiplier. That is what The Stilt suggests and overclocking the BCLK doesn't really have any merit though some may disagree with that. What I did was get a hole saw out and add fan to blow on the socket. I did this with like a dozen cases. I would also make sure I had a real good cpu cooler and good airflow. Maybe attach a fan to the mosfet heatsink itself. Your overclock is pretty hefty so I am sure the fets are getting hot. Oh, I see you have a NH-D15. You are good there. A 500 watt psu might be a bit skimpy.

BCLK or FSB overclocking worked well on my Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 with FX-6300 before I disbanded that rig but only because the NB and HT favored (or the board would only boot) working in synchronization with those data points which obviously benefits stability and graphics performance the higher you can get them. The default or recommended HT link speed is 5.2 GT/s or 2600Mhz per channel but some boards will boot with only 2000Mhz or 2200Mhz unless you crank the BCLK up manually, odd because AMD recommends 2600MHz per channel or 5.2 GT/s for 990X FX chipsets. This is what I have found from years of benching that previous mobo & cpu combo.

OP, if your using the mobo in your signature, you will be limited to 4.8 GT/s because of 970 chipset limitations.

Last edited:
Ok check this website for the temps http://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-temperature.html. I have the exact same cpu as you and I just increased the multiplier and my max temp is in the upper 50z pushing a 6300 beyond 60* is suicide get a good watercooler if you leave your voltage at standard do you get a stable OC ? Try taking the mutliplier up to 20.5 leaving the voltage standard and then check the temps if it still goes above 60* mark you need to install a high end water cooler

Back