• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I OverClock This Board? Why I can’t change this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jatake

Hi

Im looking to buy a intel core i7 2600k o 3770k only because i want to OC, the problem is my MoBo Biostar H61MGV3, i searched in many pages and there is not a lot of information from this board.

My questions:

Inside the Setup Bios there is Perfomance setup where i can change my CPU RATIO and each Core, actually i have a i5 3330 (3.0-3.2 Ghz) i can not upload this item over 30x, i can change to lower but not over 30.

So if i put a i7 2600k can i be able to change this CPU RATIO?

IMG_3435.JPG

Why i cant over 30x with in my i5 3330 ? It’s because it’s not K version?

I don’t know that board. But typically you cannot overclock on H series motherboards. So even if you put a K series cpu in there it won’t overclock.

However, even if you put a better cpu in and don’t overclock it still will perform better.

Just be careful you don’t spend too much on a 2600K if you are still buying. I have seen them sell for more than $100 and I just don’t think that is worth it for something 9 years old. Save your money and upgrade to a new platform in the future.

If you can get it for $30-40 then maybe it is worth the upgrade to you.

BigTallAndDopey is 100% correct. You cannot overclock the CPU or RAM on the H61 Chipset, only the GPU. In order to overclock the CPU & RAM you would need the P67 or Z68 chipset, even if you installed a "k" series processor.

I agree with BT&D's opinion that unless you are getting that 2600k at a great price, it's better to save up and buy new(er) in the future.

Any items in the bios that are "grayed out" are not changeable. Even on a non K chip you should be able to set all cores to the turbo speed, however. But if your bios does not present that option you can't.

I don’t know that board. But typically you cannot overclock on H series motherboards. So even if you put a K series cpu in there it won’t overclock.

However, even if you put a better cpu in and don’t overclock it still will perform better.

Just be careful you don’t spend too much on a 2600K if you are still buying. I have seen them sell for more than $100 and I just don’t think that is worth it for something 9 years old. Save your money and upgrade to a new platform in the future.

If you can get it for $30-40 then maybe it is worth the upgrade to you.

BigTallAndDopey is 100% correct. You cannot overclock the CPU or RAM on the H61 Chipset, only the GPU. In order to overclock the CPU & RAM you would need the P67 or Z68 chipset, even if you installed a "k" series processor.

I agree with BT&D's opinion that unless you are getting that 2600k at a great price, it's better to save up and buy new(er) in the future.

Thanks for the information, i thought i can change the CPU Ratio with a K-series, so sad.

Anyway there´s a guy who sell 2600k in 45$ without the cooler, if i buy it; the cooler of my i5 3330 should work fine? (The intel cooler)

If its not, what should it get it, this basically because i live in Colombia and its kind of hot all year, in this moment my CPU i5 3330 without work its 55-65°.

Thanks

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Any items in the bios that are "grayed out" are not changeable. Even on a non K chip you should be able to set all cores to the turbo speed, however. But if your bios does not present that option you can't.

Yeah but if i change the "CPU FIXED RATIO" item to Disable, i´ll be able to change the CPU Ratio, but not over 30x (in the case of i5 3330)

Thanks for the information, i thought i can change the CPU Ratio with a K-series, so sad.

Anyway there´s a guy who sell 2600k in 45$ without the cooler, if i buy it; the cooler of my i5 3330 should work fine? (The intel cooler)

If its not, what should it get it, this basically because i live in Colombia and its kind of hot all year, in this moment my CPU i5 3330 without work its 55-65°.

Thanks

They are both Socket LGA1155 so it will fit. The 2600k has a higher TDP though, 95W vs. 77W. I do not know if the stock coolers for these two CPU's were the same, but the 2600k will most likely run hotter than your 3330. With that said there are many aftermarket coolers that are not very expensive (in the US at least) that will do a much better job of cooling than the stock cooler.

Some popular options would include: (cheapest to more expensive)

Cooler Master 212 (Any version - The Black is on Sale)

Thermalright Macho Rev. B

Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240L

and of course

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

As with any change to the system you would want to verify that these coolers would fir inside you case and not interfere with your ram as some ram kits are quite tall.

They are both Socket LGA1155 so it will fit. The 2600k has a higher TDP though, 95W vs. 77W. I do not know if the stock coolers for these two CPU's were the same, but the 2600k will most likely run hotter than your 3330. With that said there are many aftermarket coolers that are not very expensive (in the US at least) that will do a much better job of cooling than the stock cooler.

Some popular options would include: (cheapest to more expensive)

Cooler Master 212 (Any version - The Black is on Sale)

Thermalright Macho Rev. B

Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240L

and of course

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

As with any change to the system you would want to verify that these coolers would fir inside you case and not interfere with your ram as some ram kits are quite tall.

Thanks i just buy it the Hyper 212 Evo, also i´m trying to sell my Mobo and buy a Z version, it cost me anything only time.

Back