• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mSATA Internal Solid State Drive compatibility with new and old motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just received this http://www.frys.com/product/8853072 WITHOUT the adaptor, just the bare card.
Fry's is not even selling the bare cards, the only OCZ RD400 items they have are ones WITH the PCIe card pictured, so everyone who ordered from Fry's is in for surprise.

Luckily I have an M.2 motherboard coming...so I don't really need the PCIe card.

Last edited:
Yes.
I should have clarified that they only sell one version of the 128GB model.

But
The 128GB model was not in stock *anywhere in the world* for around $120 except for Fry's the other day, not newegg or anywhere... and it is even out of stock at Fry's now.
The model with the card was $140 when in stock on newegg, so not worth the $20 premium if you have an M.2 card and don't need it.

But yes Fry's screwed up with those pictures but their model number was actually correct.
Hey is there a way to buy that PCIe card separately?
Where and for how much, that might be useful to some people.

I asked an important question, no one answered it - so here is the answer I had to find out the hard way :).

In the past it was faster to image (copy image files) FROM one physical hard drive to another, rather than from one partition of the same hard drive to another.

However, given the technology leap of the latest M.2 drives... is it faster to just keep image files on the same M.2 drive if you have just one M.2 drive, in other words, image your Windows partition FROM files stored on another partition of the same M.2 drive.

The answer is

It was 40% faster to image a Windows partition from one partition of an M.2 drive to another partition of the same drive, then it was to do the same from an older SSD to M.2.
How much quicker would it be from one M.2 drive to another...

Why would anyone, and usually all backup software makes it impossible, to image a drive to a separate partition on the same drive? The purpose of an 'image' is for data redundancy. Speed is not as important as simply knowing you have a proper backup image.

Weirdly enough when trying to run clonezilla on my desktop to image my msata in basic easy mode it literally ignored all the commands and dumped me back to the exit menu. I'm going to retry in advanced partition mode and see if it will run, ???.

Yes the image is stored away, sometimes on DVDs.
But my approach to superfast computing is to have a perfect image, so that if there is a delay of 0.1 seconds in anything, you nuke the OS, because it takes two minutes, less than a short bathroom break, to do this. So I do it often, very often. So speed is central, the images are (also) stored elsewhere for archival purposes. But it is faster for me to nuke and reimage than to diagnose the smallest of problems (and I know a thing or two about the Windows OS, if I may say.)

This software has no problems
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Ahh, Bill Gates grandson. For someone who knows so much you need to stop asking questions when you don't.

Back